PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question : Stabilyzer system when Off-roading - what is the correct setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Default Question : Stabilyzer system when Off-roading - what is the correct setup

Hello again,
I allready drive my H3 for six months now, and I do allot off-roading, but I got a small question:

When I got the H3 the dealer told me that when in off-road mode (4x4 high or 4x4 low) I must press the stab. system button for 5-6 seconds until the light comes on on the dashboard and the message "Stabilyzer system off" is displayed in the console.

Is that the correct thing to do? what is the logic behind this?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Haim

Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Question : Stabilyzer system when Off-roading - what is the correct setup

I've never done that. I change 4x4 settings in neutral and press the desired button and wait for the light to go solid then drive on. If this is correct I've been missing it.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Question : Stabilyzer system when Off-roading - what is the correct setup

Well, lets see if i can explain this...

4high open is normal driving.
4high lock can be switched on while driving under 40mph and is good for ice and snow or sand dunes. stability system is still active unless you hold the stability system button all the way on the right for about 6 seconds. that will disable it.
4low lock you will need to be stopped and in neutral to switch into this mode and is for major off roading and hill climbing. when you switch into this mode the stability system will automatically disable. you will see the message across the d.i.c. that says stability system disabled. once the truck is in 4 low lock, you want to drop your gear selector into low 1. now your ready to off road! you will need to go back into nuetral in order to switch out of 4 low lock. also, your traction control system is still active, so if you get in a situation where you have wheel spin, stay steady on the gas and it will kick in and pull you out. for the 06-07 H3's, traction control kicks in around 1500 rpms. on the 08' models (including alpha) it kicks in anytime there is wheel spin.

hope that helps!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM

thanks Mike, well stated. That clears things up for me!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Very interesting. I learned something today.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 PM

no problem! Always glad to share knowledge to other h3'ers!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:32 PM

Me too. [sm=hail.gif]

Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 AM

Hi Mike,
So my question is when you drive in 4high lock and under 40, should you disable the stability system ?

Thanks

Haim

Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 AM

Haim, it all depends. if your playing on sand dunes or water fording where you dont want it to activate then, yes, turn it off. If your in 4 high lock driving down the road and want that added security of the stability system then leave it on.

I had a instance where I was splashing through a deep pond, I had it in 4 high lock and forgot to turn off the stability system. It kicked in while I was in the middle of the pond and almost caused me to get stuck because it was trying to apply the brakes to each wheel.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Haim: in your vids that I've seen, leaving the StabiliTrack on is not goin to hurt you. You want that system on for crawling rocks or situations in firm terraine where you may have a wheel off the ground. The system brakes the wheel off the ground and transfers power to the wheels with contact and keeps the truck going foward.

In sand and deep snow (yeah I know you get lots of snow ) where you anticipate wheel spin in very loose terraine, you want the system off. This keeps all the tiresrotating to pull forward and keep cleaning the tire tread, it doesn't matter that the tires may be spinning at different rates, so long as the truck is moving. There is not much point in applying brake to one or more tires where we expect and wanttires to be spinning.

Quick Reply: Question : Stabilyzer system when Off-roading - what is the correct setup