PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 PM

I second or whatever number the Duratracs by Goodyear. They are the closest thing you will get to an off road tire without going to full mud terrains. If you want an all terrain tire these are the king hands down.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ground Pounder
don't think I've ever read a bad word about Duratracs other than price..

How are they wearing for ya ??
Really? I've heard lots about the sidewall being too thin and prone to puncture from sharp sticks / rocks. The Duratrac is a lighter tire, but with a more aggressive tread design. Less ply on the sidewall was the compromise in the tire design.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeTexan
Really? I've heard lots about the sidewall being too thin and prone to puncture from sharp sticks / rocks. The Duratrac is a lighter tire, but with a more aggressive tread design. Less ply on the sidewall was the compromise in the tire design.
you're the first I've read, congrats..

Old 11-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ground Pounder
you're the first I've read, congrats..
You should google "Duratrac thin weak sidewall" if you're interested in what others have to say.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM

If you look for a problem you are going to find a problem, that's just the truth.

Now I know the BFGoodrich All Terrains suck by personal experience. After three moderate off road events (trails not rock crawling) I had three cuts in the side walls and about 5% tread chucked off. No, I was not heavy on the skinny pedal.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 PM
rsc

I have the Kelly's now and had the Duratracs before that. Both have the same carcass, but have subtle differences on and off road. The Duratracs are good and stable everywhere after they have about 10K miles to break in and stop feeling squirmy in corners. The Kelly's are just a little less stable in a straight line but they self clean much better, feeling more like a MT. The Duratracs are just a smidge better in the wet, have not had a chance to try snow yet but expect them both to do equally there. Neither one growls loudly and both get decent mileage as they are some of the lighter tires in their sizes. Either one will do you good.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:09 PM

You should google "Duratrac thin weak sidewall" if you're interested in what others have to say.
I'm not running Duratracs nor do I plan on it any time soon, and for the light to moderate wheeling I do I'm sure they would be fine so its a non issue with me..

Originally Posted by Demlockian
If you look for a problem you are going to find a problem, that's just the truth.
this...

Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 PM

Well I called all around today and everybody and their brother was buying tires with this approaching storm. The time I get there after work nothing left except a set of buckshot mudders. The guy gave me a great price 129.00 mounted and balanced so I bought them and figure I get a set of "summer tires" in the spring and run these in the winter.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:26 PM
rsc

Those Buckshot Mudders are a "meat and potato" tire around the farms in the midwest. You should do fine offroad with them.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM

The Duratracs come in load range C or E.
I'll bet that most of those people who had sidewall problems bought C's because they wanted a less stiff ride.
Then they go out and puncture them offroad. All because they wanted "ride quality" onroad.
I have E's on mine and have ground them on lots of rocks and stumps, no problem.

Quick Reply: New Tires