PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Meat needs New Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Question New Meat needs New Shoes

Good Afternoon everyone.

Although I have silently stalked the shadows of this forum for months that turned into years, I have remained silent; carefully listening and learning. I apologize in advance for personal naivety towards the overall workings of online forums, and more particularly hummerforums. But i have questions that need answers. So I have chosen to speak up.

I have successfully managed to become the most indecisive human being.

I am finally about to embark on replacing my 32" BFG KM2's with a thicker tire; but like everyone else who has ever owned a h3, I can not decide between 285s or 315s. I have scanned, researched, spectated, revisited forums trying to find the solution to my question but all of the meatier forums seem to be slightly out of date (2010, 2012, etc). I need to be enlightened from current enthusiasts who have the ability to share there wealth of knowledge with a noob like myself.

Specs: Personal & Automotive
2008 Hummer H3 Lux
32" BFG KM2 with stock suspension
99,900 miles
21 years of age, finishing up my collegiate career, aspirations for law school

Interests:
285 or 315 Goodyear Duratrac (E)
285 or 315 BFG KO2 (The "new" all terrain tread BFG came out with)

Type A Personality: Get the 35s
Pros - My conscious tells me to GO BIG GO BIG! (you only live life once type persona), you can only be in your twenties once - cost-benefit analysis says the looks ARE worth the wear & tear. Gas mileage isnt a factor in determining decision. I have read quotes from so many other enthusiasts that say, "go with the 35s, its worth it," "You will be happy you went with the bigger tires," "The truck just looks natural with 35s."

Type B Personality: Get the 33s
Pros - 33s really arent that much smaller. The truck already has 100,000 miles on it, do you really want to stress the truck with such thick 35" rubber? You are on your way to earning your undergraduate with serious intentions of law school, will 35" tires rub the wrong impression on future employers? (I will be the first to tell you I dont not care what other people think, its my truck, my life; but I do care about what my future boss thinks/wife's family/parents.)

For some reason the 33s feel like the more mature & appropriate decision, but life is about taking risks, living and learning. I want the truck to maintain its class/luxury. The core factor in the decision making process is to maintain a classy image, hummer h3's are genetically composed of class, but very very very easily can be evolved into a douche rig. Im from Mississippi, my off road experience is consistent with sandy beaches around the lake, taking a left turn off the beaten path and multiple hunting camps; nothing extreme.

In a nutshell, thank you for your time, I do appreciate your thoughts and concerns, I am ready to pull the trigger today, but have accompanied a mental stand still. How have 35" tires treated your hummer past 100,000 miles? How have 35" tires effected your 3 in the year 2015? Prior to finalizing my new stilettos, should i crank the torsion bars? I have had the hummer for over 50,000 miles, no problems, beautiful truck that I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of. Its my pleasure to introduce myself to the Hummer forum community, hotty toddy.

With regards,

-Loden

Attached Thumbnails New Meat needs New Shoes-al%3Bkshdfoabnodbfa.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 03:00 PM

Why not compromise and go with a 305/70R16?
About 33" tall like a 285.and about 12" wide like a 315.

Between the two choices I would personally go with the BFG KO2s.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Grabber AT2

The best thing since sliced bread! I have driven in all conditions on the Grabbers AT2, and by far the best tires I have driven on.
The best part---> Quiet.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:51 PM

315 bfg

Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

305/70R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs ... 33.1" x 12.5" vs the 315 which is 34.5" x 12.5".
Name:  CBphoto_20110403_234.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  181.5 KB

You have to ask yourself, do you really need that 1.4" of diameter with an I5 motor as it only translates into 0.7" of additional ground clearance.

Then again, if I were in your position, I would not be driving an H3... I'd be paying student loans as fast as possible and driving a $3000 something. I had to pay for my undergrad and grad school.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lodenwalker
Interests:
285 or 315 Goodyear Duratrac (E)
285 or 315 BFG KO2 (The "new" all terrain tread BFG came out with)
First, this is exactly what I'd be deciding between. Duratracs or KO2s. Loved my Duratracs and have read nothing but good about the improved KO2s. Second, unless you have a long daily commute or take a lot of long trips, go for the 315s. You can list out the pros and cons til the cows come home, mpg vs clearance, slight power loss versus slightly better offroad ability, whatever. Ultimately though, 315s just look right.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:46 AM

If I were you, do what ever the heck you want. Your money, your H3, don't let someone try to tell you to drive a cheap ride just to pay off your loans earlier because that's what they did. SMH. You will never regret going with 315's.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 PM

I would suggest a D rating instead of the E. they ride a little nicer and unless you plan on doing alot of towing or strickly rock crawling there really is no need. I run the 315s

Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 PM

I went through the same decision recently and went with the KO2s in 285 E rated. They have been great in heavy rain, mud, gravel, dirt roads and just about anything I could throw at it. My mileage improved slightly. They ride a little harder than the stock BFGs but they don't look as radical as the Duratracs. I narrowed it down to General Grabbers and KO2s but went with the KO2s because they look good but not too radical.

Last edited by DraxHummer; 07-13-2015 at 11:47 PM.