PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lifters after p0300 and p1175 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Default New lifters after p0300 and p1175 ??

I recently got a 2008 hummer h3 alpha. As of yesterday it started making a rattling sound in the engine and gave a p0300 along with a p1175 code. The oil also showed 7.2% after driving for a while.
Left it at the dealer today since i had a 60 day warranty.
They said the lifters at passenger side bank need replace and quote a $1600 bill.
Iv read around in this forum and elsewhere, that this problem is usually not that severe as to cause a replace. Im not sure if i should go ahead with what the dealer says.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 PM

Well if it's under warranty then have them do it if it not going to cost you anything. I had a rattle on my 2006 and it was the catalytic converter. $1600 seems like a lot to me but I'm not a mechanic. I'd get a second opinion from a non dealership unless like I said it won't cost you and they will eat the cost due to the warranty. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gomer
Well if it's under warranty then have them do it if it not going to cost you anything. I had a rattle on my 2006 and it was the catalytic converter. $1600 seems like a lot to me but I'm not a mechanic. I'd get a second opinion from a non dealership unless like I said it won't cost you and they will eat the cost due to the warranty. Good luck!
Its not a full warranty so im gonna end up paying $400 while the rest goes under warranty

Old 10-17-2016, 01:59 AM

Maybe get a second option first from a non dealer. If they say same thing then hey $400 is better than $1600 and at least you know those will be new. However dealers are known to come back and give ya more "bad" news when they start digging. So make sure they know what the problem is before they tear into it. My opinion anyway. Good luck!!

Old 10-17-2016, 06:33 AM

Did that side of the motor get starved of oil? If so then it is goi you to be more than just lifters once they tear into it.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Did that side of the motor get starved of oil? If so then it is goi you to be more than just lifters once they tear into it.
I dont know to check that, the onstar diagnostics that gave me the codes said the oil had fallen to 7.2%

I had gone to the dealer today, he said they did not find any metal parts in the oil. So they do not see any other problems other than the lifters.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

The 2 codes you posted do not point to a lifter problem, and a mechanical issue would be way down low on the possibility list.

However, if you ran it out of oil, then I would expect that the lifters dried out (Hydraulic Lifters require oil to only minimally compress when transferring energy through push rods to the rocker arms) and some valves were not opening fully causing clatter. Could that damage lifters? Yes, depends how dry they got and for how long.

60 day warranty? Is this the same dealer you bought it from?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
60 day warranty? Is this the same dealer you bought it from?
Yes, i got it used from Don Sitts auto at Cuyahoga. They gave me a 60 day 75-25 warranty on the powertrain only.
I was suggested on another forum that if the lifters were gone, and for the price quoted it would be better to ask for an engine replace. But the service guy seems to think that everything else is well since no metal parts in oil. And its only cylinder 4 and 6 that need the lifters replaced

I took it to the silver lake dunes last week, no issues. Drove home 400 miles, no issue. Had to go for a meeting so i washed n cleaned it. Barely 20 miles into the drive and my problems start. At first it was only p1174, but when i stopped for a while it went away. Since the CEL wasnt blinking and it was putting in enough power i pressed on. Drove about 250 miles with this. As long as i kept the rpm below 1500, it was ok. But once the rattle started it didnt stop, sound increased with increase in rpm. Just as i was driving to the dealer the CEL started blinking, on-star again gave me those codes along with warning that oil was at 7.2%. I waited a while trying to get a tow truck, but it stopped blinking after a while and i was just about 30 miles out so i drove on.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:58 PM

My warranty expires at the end of this month, so im a bit worried about it. Is there anything else i should ask the service center guys to check?
I was also suggested to put it full synthetic oil. dealer was using semi-synthetic.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt
Yes, i got it used from Don Sitts auto at Cuyahoga. They gave me a 60 day 75-25 warranty on the powertrain only.
I was suggested on another forum that if the lifters were gone, and for the price quoted it would be better to ask for an engine replace. But the service guy seems to think that everything else is well since no metal parts in oil. And its only cylinder 4 and 6 that need the lifters replaced

I took it to the silver lake dunes last week, no issues. Drove home 400 miles, no issue. Had to go for a meeting so i washed n cleaned it. Barely 20 miles into the drive and my problems start. At first it was only p1174, but when i stopped for a while it went away. Since the CEL wasnt blinking and it was putting in enough power i pressed on. Drove about 250 miles with this. As long as i kept the rpm below 1500, it was ok. But once the rattle started it didnt stop, sound increased with increase in rpm. Just as i was driving to the dealer the CEL started blinking, on-star again gave me those codes along with warning that oil was at 7.2%. I waited a while trying to get a tow truck, but it stopped blinking after a while and i was just about 30 miles out so i drove on.
Did you ever check the oil during any of this time/miles?

Quick Reply: New lifters after p0300 and p1175 ??