PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow muffler replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Default Magnaflow muffler replacement?

Hi guys,

looking to just swap out the factory muffler with a magnaflow. Anyone know the right part # to use, or inlet/outlet & dimensions so I can try to figure one out?

Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

We would need to know what H3 you have.... ie I5 or V8.

Do the CAT back, forget the muffler. Swapping the muffler isn't going to do much of anything on an I5, many people have done a muffler delete to a simple down pipe for sound. The muffler is secondary sound control, the primary is in the resonator after the Cat, which some people have replaced with a straight pipe and leave the muffler in place.

Let us know if you find what you are looking for and post the Part # for the next guy if you like it.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
We would need to know what H3 you have.... ie I5 or V8.

Do the CAT back, forget the muffler. Swapping the muffler isn't going to do much of anything on an I5, many people have done a muffler delete to a simple down pipe for sound. The muffler is secondary sound control, the primary is in the resonator after the Cat, which some people have replaced with a straight pipe and leave the muffler in place.

Let us know if you find what you are looking for and post the Part # for the next guy if you like it.
Im sorry. I have an I5. I was thinking about just replacing the muffler... maybe the muffler and resonator. Im not paying $500 for a cat back.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Jayson,

Go to Home and enter your vehicle to get the right stuff. I did the Cat Back switch-out (through Amazon) two years ago and was happy with it until a recent leak developed in one of the pipes (underside of pipe #3 according to my shop so it can't be fixed in place). Magnaflow says to send it back and they will investigate it to make sure it's a warranty issue. Kind of a pain in the a$$ since I'd be out of a vehicle for however long it takes to ship it, for them to "investigate", and to send one back. I'll probably just get it fixed myself to save time. Still going to cost $200 to disconnect my AC lines for remove/replace and to recharge when done. Kind of pisses me off but chit happens with a 10-year old vehicle I guess. Good luck with yours.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

You never have to sand a MagnaFlow product back. All you have to do is take it to a MagnaFlow approved repair facility.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:18 PM

Not what the customer service dude at MagnaFlow told me Doc. He never mentioned anything about an approved repair facility. Just said I'd need to send it so they could inspect it to make sure it wasn't rusted through or "road damage". I guess it's worth calling them again.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jayson DK
Im not paying $500 for a cat back.
I'm with ya on the $500. Did ya ever find just the muffler, where did ya get it and how much?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM

I took a quick cursory search and you can get a new system cheaper.
Albeit i'd prefer stainless.

CGS 60049 Aluminized Cat-Back Exhaust System Hummer | eBay

Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
I took a quick cursory search and you can get a new system cheaper.
Albeit i'd prefer stainless.

CGS 60049 Aluminized Cat-Back Exhaust System Hummer | eBay
I'm wanting the 1 in 2 out muffler by it self

Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM

I used the Thrush Welded Muffler on mine.
sounds great on my I5 and was easy on the pocket book.
Thrush® Welded Muffler - Offset / Center - Thrush® Exhaust P/N: 17656 - Thrush® Exhaust, Making Hot Rods Hotter Since 1966?

they also have a 1 in 2 out version
http://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffler...set-17653.html

Quick Reply: Magnaflow muffler replacement?