PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove OEM plastic louvered hood vent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Question How do I remove OEM plastic louvered hood vent?

I've searched the site and see others have had questions about this. Do the 3 plastic clips on the inside of the hood that secure the hood vent push up through the holes in the hood or are they somehow supposed to detach from below the hood? Also, looks like there is something like a spring in the plastic clip. Does that have to be depressed while either pushing the clip up through the holes in the hood or removing from below?
I tried to push the clips up from below and the two upper corner clips seem to go up, but the middle clip doesn't budge. I wonder if the original owner (I'm the 2nd) had the warranty fix done and it is somehow glued in place. If so, what is the best way to deal with that? Heat gun to warm the adhesive?
Thanks for your advice!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:03 AM

There are normally 10 clips holding the louver in place.
If you only have 3, then your louver has probably been glued down.

Some dealers did the "fix" more permanently than others. Some used a ton of glue, others, not as much.
Good luck trying to get it off without destroying the louver if its securely glued.

Why do you want to remove it?

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...acement-35017/

Last edited by Bunger; 05-12-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

When you lift the hood you can only see the rear clips, that is where you start. Push up the rear clips through the hood.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 PM

Bunger, thanks so much for your reply. I just purchased hood handles. They require removing the louvered hood and attaching with supplied threaded post and nuts to the bottom of the louvered hood. I have read some guys are leaving the louvered hood in place and drilling right through the metal hood and attaching with a bolt from the bottom. I'm a little reluctant to drill through the metal, but maybe that would be a good alternative to trying to remove the louvered hood. Still trying to make up my mind if I want to continue to try to remove or drill through.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 PM

Thanks Doc Olds. I might give it one more try before I give up and drill through the hood. Do you know if the metal springs in the clips need to be depressed while pushing the clips from the bottom, or do I just use a set of pliers and push?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 AM

All you have to do is push up on the clips but like Bunger said if they glued that thing down it is going to be a B@#$H trying to take it off. It took two of us to get it off one lifting the hood vent slowly and the other trying to cutoff as much of the glue off as possible.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 AM

I drilled thru the hood and installed mine.
Read this for info about doing it that way, especially about NOT using the template provided and spacing the handles so that they do not go thru a slanted part of the hood brace.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...gh-hood-26808/

Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 PM

Great post. Thanks Bunger!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 PM

JSBALLE01, thanks for the reply. I was thinking about using cedar shims as I pried up, maybe I'll take your route and call a pal. That way I can blame someone else if it breaks and my wife will let me buy a new one!

Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 PM

If it has been glued, 100% chance it will break if you try to remove it.

Quick Reply: How do I remove OEM plastic louvered hood vent?