PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help pls... Nexus7 + GMOS-04 + Headunit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by cjyoung111
I had 6.5 in my H3 before just to make it easy on the swap but the jump to the 6x9 made a huge difference in volume. I'd say twice as loud just by upgrading the speakers from 6.5 to 6x9. Second amplifier? This is really dependent on the amount of RMS wattage of your speakers. For instance...the Polk 6.5 come in wattages of 15, 25, 50, all the way up to 100. It really depends on what you bought I like to stay in the 50 watt range and I don't need much to really drive them. Kind of like having a hot rod with an elderly citizen behind the wheel if your underpowered. I don't know which RMS watt speakers you have but if you say it's vibrating things your pretty much spot on. I'd shy away from the amp in that case and get a new head unit like a double din that has good wattage also. That will help as well. I have a Pioneer AVH-X3600. It plays DVDS and gives out 40 watts per channel. I got it off Amazon too for like 245.00. It made a big difference in overall volume and sound quality in my H3.
I've got 60 Watts Continuous RMS and 180 Watts Peak power handling with 4-ohm impedance on my Polk DBs.
I don't know the RMS watts on stock speakers but they are 2-ohm impedance.
Now, as far as I know (I may be wrong) less ohm means it will pull more power then 4-ohm impedance. So, at least in power case I should be good as my new DBs are 4-ohms only.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:32 AM

The 3rd post in this article says you have 25 watts going to each speaker. Don't know if this is verified or not but could be why your not getting a correct match on the wattage from 25 watts per channel to a 50 watt speaker. I can't gaurantee this to be rock solid info but it seems like the culprit. If you have navigation already I'd go with a stronger 4 channel amp just measure and pull up the old one and pop in a new one in its place that's relatively the same physical dimensions. Should wire right in. If you don't have navigation I'd definitely say grab one of the double din Pioneer or Kenwood from Crutchfield or something like that. The added wattage seems to be what's missing. If you had 25 watt speakers before and a 25 watt per channel amp then yes it would sound great. However if you increase the speakers wattage you will probably have to feed them a few more watts to get to really sing. I suspect the stock amp. I don't know who can verify its true wattage however if it is 25 per channel you have found the culprit.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:40 AM

Old 04-14-2015, 10:49 AM

The 3rd post in this article says you have 25 watts going to each speaker.
I am not sure if I gave that info and I can't find it either.
Sorry for wrong info.

Anybody has any idea about stock amp specification...? How many watts per channel...?

Old 04-14-2015, 12:51 PM

I don't think you gave the wrong info friend. Just listed what I found try to help us out no biggie. I'd def look into the stock amplifiers wattage though you may be a few watts short for the DB 50 watt speakers if you got a 25 watt per channel amp. There are lots of post saying that monsoon system actually has two amps. One on the sub and one for the speakers. Id say try and find a manual or maybe call the local GMC car dealer parts dept and ask them what the wattage per channel is on the main amp.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:29 PM

There are lots of post saying that monsoon system actually has two amps. One on the sub and one for the speakers. Id say try and find a manual or maybe call the local GMC car dealer parts dept and ask them what the wattage per channel is on the main amp.
No, monsoon system has only one amp and all the speakers and sub are connected to it. Please check this link.
Now I need to find out what is the capacity of this amp.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 PM

if you have only one amp for sub and speakers you may be able to get by leaving it attached to the sub and only have to purchase one new one. id lean more toward a new stereo and grab the additional wattage from it versus changing out the amps. might turn out to be a can of worms having to hide an additional amp or may even turn out to be two more amps. you could also get a 4 channel amp with lots of power and run the whole show. A four channel amp would work. run all 4 of your DB speakers off the 2 front channels of the amp, two speakers wired in parallel to each channel, which would present a 2 ohm load to the amp at each front channel, and each speaker would be receiving almost double the rated RMS when the load is dropped or perceived by the amplifier as dropped "2 ohm". Not bad. to wire in paralell you simply make a Y connection from each positive and each Negative and hook em both up. Only problem is you would lose your fader ability. Then you could run a sub off the rear channels bridged at 4 ohms which would then triple the RMS of the amp. GEt a good Sub if you go this route though. either 4 ohm single voice coil or 2 ohm dual voice coils. for really cheap "one amp and a new sub" you would be unbearably loud in the cabin. Any amp with 4 channels should do. I like the Autotek M1400.4 heres the specs on that Amp +
  • RMS Output at 4 Ohm - 88 Watts x 4 chan
  • RMS Output at 2 Ohm - 175 Watts x 4 chan
  • RMS Output at Bridged 4 Ohm - 350 Watts x 2 chan

Old 04-14-2015, 02:52 PM

http://www.pricefalls.com/product/1000w-4ch-Class-Ab-Amp/28507694?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc& utm_term=PLA-SC&utm_content={adwords_producttargetid}&utm_campa ign=&adpos=1o4&creative=44806520791&device=c&match type=&network=g&gclid=CMLm9P_I9sQCFQaPaQodAkcAuQ

Old 04-14-2015, 07:16 PM

Thank a lot cjyoung111 for your help... Even though I don't want but I think I need to spend some more $$$ to get mini amp...

Old 04-15-2015, 02:59 AM

The OEM H3 Monsoon amp has 8 channels:

2 for the front tweeters (A pillar) 4ohm impedance
2 for the front 6.5" mids (doors) 4ohm impedance
2 for the rear 6.5" full range (doors) 4ohm impedance
2 for the Subwoofer (Driver rear compartment) 2ohm impedance (Duel Voice Coil 8" Subwoofer)

Quick Reply: Help pls... Nexus7 + GMOS-04 + Headunit replacement