PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 display says: Service stab sys, traction failed, reduced power

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Default H3 display says: Service stab sys, traction failed, reduced power

First the car did not start after taking gasoline. Starter cranked well but no engine. Since I drive dirt roads we cleaned engine air filter and fuse box inside with air pressure. It helped, I drove on. Then after a stop I started the engine again and this message came on: >>service stab sys, traction failed, reduced power<<.
Engine does not run smooth and only 3000 rpm max. I cleaned engine with air again and fuse box inside, checked fuses and it started ok, everything normal. Then I drove a while, shut of the engine and after a restart, same message again.
After searching the internet I cycled the 4wheel system 60 times, I disconnected the battery (almost new) for 20 min, I checked the battery cables, I cleaned again with air as before, but no result. Any ideas ? I´m in Costa Rica, no GM Dealer here. Thanks for any help

Last edited by Jogi; 04-23-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 AM

In the other post I may have missed that you are in Costa Rica with no GM dealer easily available. You hit the nail on the had when you listed the wide variety of causes, it could be many things, which without any guidance, will take you a long time to sort out. Many mechanics, factory GM or not, have a tool called a "Scan Gauge." This is a tool you could also purchase yourself from the interenet for anywhere between $60-$200 depending on the features. This tool will hook up to the 12 prong port under the dash near your left knee on the drivers side. This will display a specific code for your malfunctioning part which should allow you to pinpoint your exact problem. As I stated, many mechanics have these scan gauges so you should be able to find someone to scan it for you if you would rather not buy one. However, given your location and the lack of a dealership close, it may be a wise decision to have one in your possession. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Thank you Widespread Hummer, great help so far, I had the same thoughts and will try first locally. A recent online chat at GM in the US said they can´t help online. I just found a scangauge tool online at amazon. This could eventually be the right thing and good to have:
Amazon.com: ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive

Last edited by Jogi; 04-24-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add on
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Well, I had the traction issue, but it never resulted in ABS being disabled, or reduced power.

From my experience, and all the TSB's I've read that helped me solved my issue it could be a few things. I went back and forth with my dealer telling them what the problem was from the get go and they finally listened to me in the end and I ended up being right and it got fixed.

My issue was solved by replacement of the Encoder Motor. It's a little thing near the transfer case with a couple screws and a plug. Your issue however seems more severe than mine and probably wouldn't be caused by a bum encoder motor.

Another fix found in the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) for my symptoms was a bad TCCM or Transfer Case Control Module. If you have an earlier H3 you have a plastic shift fork in your transfer case that can cause problems, but most of the time it manifests as not being able to change 4WD modes.....

It could be so many different things, you're smart in getting a scan tool. It sounds like something more serious than a transmission issue if your engine won't start and is stumbling.

I'd clean the MAF in the intake, clean my throttle body, and check my plugs since that's all pretty easy run of the mill stuff to check or perform.

I cleaned my throttle body about two weeks ago without taking it off the truck since I couldn't find a replacement gasket locally without ordering one. I wrapped a cloth around my index finger, propped the butterfly valve open and soaked it down, and scrubbed everything squeeky clean. I used a soft tooth brush to get to the places I couldn't reach with my finger.

The truck ran rough from all the carb cleaner that ran down into it, for the few minutes when I started it, but after that it ran so much smoother and throttle response was instantly improved.

Keep us posted, I'm interested in seeing what your solution or problem is. Does your truck switch between 4WD modes quickly and easily? Is the voltage on your battery good and solid?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Had the same issue and mine was caused by the bcm computer

Old 04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Unhappy

Hi Guys, I found a mechanic with a scanner and it says: >>P2101 TAC Motor Circuit Range Performance<<.
He said he will look further, do some checks and eventually clean some things and let me know.

Last edited by Jogi; 04-28-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: wrong word used
Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 PM

It is supposed to be the Throttle body. My mechanic says it is the part number: 12568580, found by Mitchel software.
He included a picture:
Throttle Body, LS4 12568580 - Crate Engine Depot
My VIN is: 5GTDN136868156492 for the H3 - 2006
I guess I will order that new. Any suggestions of a reliable source to get it ?

Tx

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM

I found a new one on ebay, sent my VIN to make sure it´s ok and after seller confirmed I made the purchase:
GM OEM NEW THROTTLE BODY 12568580 CHEVROLET GMC PONTIAC - eBay (item 160583928937 end time May-06-11 18:05:51 PDT)
Lets see when it arrives and if it will fix my H3

Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 AM

What were ur results?
Chris