PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0716 and P0717 Input speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Smile Code P0716 and P0717 Input speed Sensor

I have 2007 hummer h3, automatic transmission. Its been a month i am having Error Code P0716 and P0717 Input speed Sensor circuit no signal or circuit range. I am having harsh shifts in 1-2. The thing is that it is not continues. One day i have this issue and next day no, its keep showing up and going off.
I check with transmission repair shop, and according to them the sensor is fitted inside the transmission behind the Torque converter, so they have to rebuild the transmission to get it fixed, lot of money $1500.
My questions are:
1) Any body else had or have this issue?
2) What is the easy and cheap fix?
3) Where is this input speed sensor located?

Till now, i learn that all of new cars comes with 2 speed sensors. One is on transfer case or transmission that is called output speed sensor. It functions to give driving speed. The second sensor is called input speed sensor that tell how fast the torque converter moving. The computer compare the input and output speed sensor and decide the gear change and all other transmission stuff.

I also learn that in many older models the input speed sensor located on top of transmission, so easy to change. All the newer models have this sensor inside the transmission.

The question is, where did hummer put this input speed sensor? If it outside then easy to change. If it is inside then to much trouble. Worse part is that i am not able to get this part info any where, not at ACDELCO, GM website and Dealer. They are keeping it secret. It is also known as turbine speed sensor. Do anyone think if hummer merge input and output speed sensors as one and place it over TC?

Last edited by mtauseefsa; 02-11-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Banned
Default transmission repair shop,,,,??

do they actually call themselves that in the phone book?
tran shop huh? speed sensor inside tranny? well the tranny IS behind the torq conv,they got that right!!

you can download the shop manual for appx 15 bucks, find all info you need there.
you should be armed with accurate data if you encounter other "shops" that are just as smart!!
i think the sensor screws into the tranny near the back end,or is it in the t case? well im not a tranny shop but i do know you can change it yourself,prob <50 bucks. get informed,protect your wallet

edit,!! hey i just found this in a nearby thread!!

know there is a defect in the original transfer case for all '06 and early '07 H3, the TC fill hole being too low requiring adding an additional 250ml of the Dextron III fluid replacement #88861800 (per bulletin #PIP3836B) to be added via the speed sensor hole on top of the TC
note,he says the sensor is on the t case!!,not "inside"the tran!!

Last edited by drtom; 02-11-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Till now, i learn that all of new cars comes with 2 speed sensors. One is on transfer case or transmission that is called output speed sensor. It functions to give driving speed. The second sensor is called input speed sensor that tell how fast the torque converter moving. The computer compare the input and output speed sensor and decide the gear change and all other transmission stuff.

I also learn that in many older models the input speed sensor located on top of transmission, so easy to change. All the newer models have this sensor inside the transmission.

The question is, where did hummer put this input speed sensor? If it outside then easy to change. If it is inside then to much trouble. Worse part is that i am not able to get this part info any where, not at ACDELCO, GM website and Dealer. They are keeping it secret. It is also known as turbine speed sensor. Do anyone think if hummer merge input and output speed sensors as one and place it over TC?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Banned

looking at service manual,they say on SOME trans an internal speed sensor. the drawing shows it near the tailshaft,on the output end??

so you might want to download a manual and pursue this.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Where to get the manual from?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Banned

on the internet,type "h3 service manual". youll find a bunch

Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 AM

I searched on ebay and google. All manuals a re on CD/DVD. No one offering downloadable PDF.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Banned

heres the first one i found 10.75

Hummer H3 2006-2009 Service Repair Manual Download - Download Technical

if you get it , post a list or index, id like to know if its better/different from what i have now.
mine doesent cover all,like lockers, blue tooth,?
edit 240 am,,
look around that site,hard to tell u how but they have a "factory manual " that is $19.95, looks more detailed. the list is more complete.

hard to fiigure what you get till you buy,,,but its still cheap!

im going for it
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...service-repair
good luck

huh!,also one for 14.95!

ill pop for 20 bucks

Last edited by drtom; 02-12-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 AM

Finally i got my answer. It is inside the transmission. Now i have a hint on how to get it fixed. I will give the reference to mechanic and try to get good price to change it. Before this i need to be sure that there is no electric problem. I think i should also try a transmission flush to clear all the debris, that can make problems.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
heres the first one i found 10.75

Hummer H3 2006-2009 Service Repair Manual Download - Download Technical

if you get it , post a list or index, id like to know if its better/different from what i have now.
mine doesent cover all,like lockers, blue tooth,?
edit 240 am,,
look around that site,hard to tell u how but they have a "factory manual " that is $19.95, looks more detailed. the list is more complete.

hard to fiigure what you get till you buy,,,but its still cheap!

im going for it
Hummer H3 2006 2009 Factory Service Repair Manual DIY FSM - Download Documents / eBooks
good luck

huh!,also one for 14.95!

ill pop for 20 bucks
lol looking for repair manuals at 2:45 am?!?!? What are you doing lol

Quick Reply: Code P0716 and P0717 Input speed Sensor