PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake lights and rear turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Unhappy brake lights and rear turn signals

Had to take it to the dealership.
Factory trailer hitch shorted out a 500.00 module.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Had the same thing happen, but at 46,000 miles mine was under warranty. BCM (Body Control Module) got smoked when the trailer harness shorted. Common problem.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 PM

How does this happen? I plan on towing my boat this summer but my warranty runs out March 23rd. How did yours short? bad harness, wrong harness? curious

Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by JDTDBD
How does this happen? I plan on towing my boat this summer but my warranty runs out March 23rd. How did yours short? bad harness, wrong harness? curious
Do a search, but I think that if you look between your bumper and the body below the tailgate, you will see that the trailer wires rub against the body eventually rubbing the cover off the wires and shorts out. I read the thread and put some wire loom around mine to prevent this.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM

amazing how a trailer wiring harness can ruin your day!!!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
if you look between your bumper and the body below the tailgate, you will see that the trailer wires rub against the body eventually rubbing the cover off the wires and shorts out. I read the thread and put some wire loom around mine to prevent this.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I have a project for today.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by JDTDBD
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I have a project for today.
Happy to help.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Cool Me Too

Same thing happened to me. 07 H3...only it caused an engine missfire and smoked the BCM...Chevy dealer said they would not replace the harness, just repair it...

Old 02-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Spent hours yesterday researching this problem on here yesterday, don't know how i missed this thread.

Just looked, sure enough, it's rubbed bare.

silly question though, how the heck do you get the harness to release from the bumper so you can repair the short??

Old 02-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Banned

from bottom just push up, and forward on cable. when it unclips the problem is gone for good. the cable is binding when stock and it wears thru.once unclipped u mite need to add some insulation if its worn.

if u do this when new,,,no problem, it will be loose,DO NOT REATTACH IT!!

this was posted last year.
these obvious fixes should have a special place on forum so they can be found easier.
btw,if there ever was a factory production inflicted failure and legitimate recall free fix this is it. it is so blatently cristal clear that the factory mounting CAUSES this rubbing and wear. u can push down and feel the tight fit,UNTIL it is unclipped,then its free and loose. THERE WAS NEVER A NEED FOR THIS PROBLEM,NOT ONCE!!

Last edited by drtom; 02-27-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: brake lights and rear turn signals