PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Install Tricks..??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Default Battery Install Tricks..??

My '06 is ready for a new battery. It has the original..and the car sets more than it's driven..I went through the door lock/drivers window fix last year..I'm going with an Optima..like I put in my King Ranch this summer. Is there anthing extra to do..like touching the cables together...that I should know. I replaced the ends last year..thanks..j

Old 10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

No tricks to it, just the straight forward swap.

Now if you do it the swap next Monday (10/31) you might see a trick, or a .................. treat. Badda Boom....

Yeah, pretty bad.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM

Not to hi-jack the thread, but along the same lines. When you swap batteries what do you lose, (other then radio presets), memory wise? Does the PCM or BCM have to go through a new learn routine? Does the system 'lock out' the radio, as if it were stolen? Does it effect key less entry presets? Would it be beneficial to have a 12v power supply continually hooked up to the battery cables during a swap?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Halo..JUMP IN...I didn't think of all that. Surely someone knows for sure !!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 PM

No re learn needed... Swap several batteries over the years, two failed alternators and about to slap in my dual yellow top optimas and 220amp alternator on Thursday... I would HIGHLY recommend a new set of terminals! You said 06 and those terminals blew chunks!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the advice..I changed the terminals last year..She only drove the car about a thousand miles this year..and it being the original battery,..I figured replacing it now would save me the inevitable phone call from the Mall that it won't start..Got an Optima on sale..$20 off for my truck..so I'll get one for the H3...j

Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Ozark, just as a heads up... BECAREFUL where you buy the optimas from, the quality at the big box stores is NOT the same as if you order from a specialty retailer/wholesaler. Much like Dewalt tools aren't the same at Home Ceapo as they are direct from Dewalt... That being sad check www.RidgeDemon.com (Brodie) or www.*********************** (Tim) for their prices... Brodie got me all my optimas at a better savings than autozone, etc AND the better quality! Usually takes about a week to get them, but totally worth it!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
Ozark, just as a heads up... BECAREFUL where you buy the optimas from, the quality at the big box stores is NOT the same as if you order from a specialty retailer/wholesaler. Much like Dewalt tools aren't the same at Home Ceapo as they are direct from Dewalt... That being sad check www.RidgeDemon.com (Brodie) or www.*********************** (Tim) for their prices... Brodie got me all my optimas at a better savings than autozone, etc AND the better quality! Usually takes about a week to get them, but totally worth it!!!
www.what? lol

Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

PCM, BCM and radio presets all flash based, no juice needed to save them.

The radio checks the Vin# it is set to when juice is restored, if it belongs to your vehicle, no lock out.