PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Default Anyone heard of this?

This truck owner had a aftermarket intake and he totally boxed in the area and installed a 6 inch tube to the front just behind the grill, Now at any speed the airbox gets force feed /pressurized air in, The aftermarket air intake fan systems do the same thing however very limited low pressure. this will likely create good pressure and speeds? sounds interesting if the system will pace the fuel correctly.

Last edited by byeatts; 09-07-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 PM

pretty hard to outsmart the pcm that monitors EVERYTHING and adjusts accordingly

Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
pretty hard to outsmart the pcm that monitors EVERYTHING and adjusts accordingly
so your saying if more air is forced in the PCM will adjust?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:41 PM

Yes between the MAF and the MAP sensors the engine will adjust the amount of fuel and timing needed. You can eventually outflow the MAP sensor where it won't read accurate anymore but that is only if your using forced induction such as a turbo or supercharger. You will never outflow either sensor with any sort of ram air intake or electric supercharger.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Default Additional Intake Hose

I was cleaning my filter the other day and wondering about this. There is a circle indentation at the front of the air filter box and it looks like it is made to cut out. I was thinking about cutting it out and running a hose to the front of the grill area so it gets more air into the box. It looks like I could almost use the hose that went to the battery box. Has anyone done that? Any drawbacks?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

It really boils down to "what you gonna do with it?" If it is a street queen, and you think a brick can take advantage of an intake floodgate, then I guess it does not matter.

The H3 air filter box flows plenty of air for even the Alpha, cutting a hole into it to defeat the "closed system" isn't going to do anything performance wise.
Contrary to the belief that the PCM can adapt, that is about it, a belief. A stock PCM has only very limited learning (box learning) within narrow fixed parameters. It cannot "adjust fuel and timing" needed just based upon MAF and MAP input. Just ain't so. A PCM can be tuned to allow for a wide array of fuel trim and spark timing parameters, therein lies the advantage of a PCM tune.

The drawback.... get water up to the grill... hello hydrolock.
Name:  IMG_7464.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  87.5 KB

Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM

After looking closer, the grill area on that side is pretty buttoned up so it would be difficult to do. It's not like the other side where the vent hose for the battery goes. There's probably little to gain and just not worth the effort for me.

I don't think a little more air would hurt though and I don't go diving with my H3 Slow as possible, fast as necessary.

Just a thought.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
It really boils down to "what you gonna do with it?" If it is a street queen, and you think a brick can take advantage of an intake floodgate, then I guess it does not matter.

The H3 air filter box flows plenty of air for even the Alpha, cutting a hole into it to defeat the "closed system" isn't going to do anything performance wise.
Contrary to the belief that the PCM can adapt, that is about it, a belief. A stock PCM has only very limited learning (box learning) within narrow fixed parameters. It cannot "adjust fuel and timing" needed just based upon MAF and MAP input. Just ain't so. A PCM can be tuned to allow for a wide array of fuel trim and spark timing parameters, therein lies the advantage of a PCM tune.

The drawback.... get water up to the grill... hello hydrolock.
good info, I will bring in the air on mine! and additionally i just received an adjustable device that fools the air temp sensor. simply turn and the signal will alter the temps recognized therefore enriching the fuel mixture on the fly from the dash, only 70 bucks and works with my Jet chip, installing today

Old 09-08-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by byeatts
good info, I will bring in the air on mine! and additionally i just received an adjustable device that fools the air temp sensor. simply turn and the signal will alter the temps recognized therefore enriching the fuel mixture on the fly from the dash, only 70 bucks and works with my Jet chip, installing today
heres a hairbrain idea. make a ducting that runs top of the airbox over to the hood louvers, hmm

Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 AM

I don't have to worry about hydrolock

Name:  100_3547_zpsb7cd4d60.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  122.9 KB

Name:  100_3543_zps76f59935.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  93.9 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 09-09-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of this?