Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

AC Blower fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Default AC Blower fix

Just paid $185 to get my AC blower fixed. It was the well documented problem of the resistor & harness pigtail burnt. They need to put a recall on this too. Happens all the time on H3's and Colorado's

The fix just treats the symptoms, not the cause.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:13 PM

same thing here. had mine fixed a month ago under warranty.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:30 AM

It will most likely happen again. ALl they do is replaced the burned out parts, they don't fix the cause.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 AM

It's not just the H3's and Colorado's, it's ALL the full size trucks as well. Had an 06 2500 I had to replace the same prts

Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Default DIY AC blower fix Cost=$0.00

Common Hummer H3 Blower Problem
Has the blower in your hummer quit?
Does the AC light still come on but no air blows out?
Did you notice a burning smell just before the blower stopped working?

You may be a victim of a poor Generous Motors design for controlling blower speeds. With the technology available when Hummers were first made, it seems strange that GM did not implement a PWM system to control the blower speed in Hummers. That system would save energy, not produce heat like a resistor, to control the blower speed. It would have also allowed GM to put a continuously variable speed control on the Hummers for their customers, instead of a four speed switch.
Anyway, they didn’t do it, probably to save a few pennies per Hummer. So those of us who have had to put up with the failure of our blower system, have to dish out big bucks for getting our blowers working again. The repair is not a fix, because IT WILL FAIL again.
Now, you may be able to save those big bucks if you are half way handy with a soldering iron and a Dremel type tool. This may also prevent your blower speed control from failing again.
I assume you know the H3 blower motor and wiring harness is located behind the glove box. Remove glove box to start this project. Remove right end cover to dashboard. Remove blower plug, remove white gang plug, remove black gang plug, THEN remove resistor with connector attached last. Now take resistor and wiring harness to your work bench to start saving more money.
You may have to work to get the resistor removed from the connector as the burnt terminal inside has melted and fused the surrounding plastics together. Keep working at it, rock it back and forth, you will get it apart.
Now, does it look something like this?

Cut around the connector shield on the resistor to allow better access to the terminals. You can cut this with a Dremel type tool or with wire cutters like I did.

Now you can use a file, sandpaper, or a Dremel Type tool to clean and roughen up all the resistor terminals. This will allow the solder to better adhere to the terminals and give you a better connection. We don't want any cold solder joints here.

A

Next, cut the wires behind the connector on the harness so as to get us into some fresh, unburnt wire.

Take note of the wire colors and orientation at this point. We want all wires going back to their original terminal.

Carefully solder each wire to its corresponding terminal, making sure your soldering iron is strong enough and hot enough to make a good clean solder joint on each wire and terminal.

Reinstall the harness back into the vehicle first, and reinstall the resistor last. This will prevent any excess strain and pull on the resistor terminals.
Turn the key on and enjoy your AC blower once again! And it cost you nothing but time. If you made good solder joints, your blower should never fail again!
Good luck!
Craig

Last edited by cdobis; 06-30-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: no pictures
Old 07-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Default Fix is worth a $1 million

Thanks a ton for posting this!!!!! I didn't have a soldering kit but went and bought one and fixed the thing for about $8! Garage estimated $200. Thanks a million for posting!!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Followed above post after smelling burnt plastic and now fan operation, Just fixed mine thanks , its went out lastnight. 95degrees today.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:02 PM

Craig, Awesome post. I want to show another way to accomplish this for those of us who are not flux savy (soldering). I tried every type of solder and flux and could not get the darn thing to stick. So, I improvised. Grabbed a pack of female (blue $2) electrical connectors and hooked them onto the resistor with 1 layer of black tape around them. It is a very tight fit. Then installed new wire and a female/female connector (blue $2) for each wire. Then just connected to the original wires and bingo. Working like a champ. Trying to figure out how to upload this picture.

Attached Thumbnails AC Blower fix-1.jpg  
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Wink Way to go Guys!!

I'm proud of you for having the gonads to fix it yourself!
Mine has been working great for a month now and I have tried all speeds for extended times now. I think it is fixed for good, this time.
Let's hear from others doing this fix, ok?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM

I did this today because mine started to act up. It fixed the issue, thanks for the detailed post!

Quick Reply: AC Blower fix