Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2006 H3 Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Default 2006 H3 Stereo Upgrade

I have a 2006 Silver Base model with manual tranny.

It has onstar, etc.

What is the adapter that I need to install an aftermarket stereo? I have a double-din Pioneer that is collecting dust right now. Please let me know the best price as well.

Also, that fake antenna on the top right of the vehicle, can that be used for XM from my Pioneer?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

2003 2004 2005 2006 Chevrolet SSR Bose OnStar Adapter | eBay

Do I really need one of these? I do not use onstar and this model vehicle does not have bluetooth or XM.

My aftermarket stereo is a Pioneer DVD and has XM service.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM

Is anyone familiar with the aftermarket stereo install on an H3?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Default Radio upgrade H3

I have installed my Kenwood touchscreen in my 07 H3 with no problems. It's time consuming though. You need to get the adaptor from your local stereo shop or on ebay. Make sure it is vehicle specific. It will allow you to keep your onstar, door chimes thru your speakers etc. they run around $100+ I found mine on ebay for $60 shipped. Just type in on ebay what you are looking for and they should pop up. I believe they are called axxess and are made for Gm vehicles. Make sure it is the one that will keep all of your chimes working. They have ones with and without. Again they are vehicle specific.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Default Radio upgrade

You will still be able to have xm radio with the adaptor. Again, check ebay first. It is a lot cheaper for the same product from the stereo shop. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman
Is anyone familiar with the aftermarket stereo install on an H3?
It's pretty much like screwing in a light bulb, no rocket science to it.

Go to Crutchfield or some other on line audio supply house and research what you need for what you are trying to do.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
It's pretty much like screwing in a light bulb, no rocket science to it.

Go to Crutchfield or some other on line audio supply house and research what you need for what you are trying to do.
Wow, thanks for the advice... good thing I am not an aerospace engineer. I know how to install a stereo. I am asking for specifics on stereo installation for this vehicle, as this is not a typical install.

I had a feeling that without the adapter, like the axxess mentioned above, I would kick CE lights OR as Windy pointed out, if I do not get the adapter I will not have door chimes or warning indicators.

Final question, it appears that most of these adapters come with a type of wiring harness, so no separate harness will be required for the install, correct?

I do not use onstar.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Windycitykid:

Will this work?

Radio Wire Harness Interface Aftermarket Stereo Installation Axxess LC GMRC 01 | eBay

Also, do I need a double-din adapter to mount the stereo? It's a double-din deck and looks like it will be a tight fit.

Last edited by Mr_Sandman; 06-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 PM

You can try sonic electronics and they will beat anyones price and will have all the adaptors you need, might as well save a few dollars if possible. I have purchased from them and they have great prices

Old 06-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Thumbs up Adaptor

Yes that will work. I have the same axxess set up in mine. It's a little time consuming, but like doc said it's not that difficult. Just follow the instructions carefully.

Quick Reply: 2006 H3 Stereo Upgrade