PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 H3 2 Din stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:02 AM
Default 2006 H3 2 Din stereo install

First, I have read for hours and searched high and low. I am installing an after market double din touch screen stereo in my 06 H3. The stereo is stock with No XM, steering controls, Monsoon, nothing ! Sounds pretty straight forward....
I bought the correct interface module, harness, and install kit. Wired most of it like for like. One question I have, the 12 pin connector that I unplugged from the stock stereo, where do they go. Only 3 wires, green with white stripe, pink with black stripe and orange with black stripe.
I read in the owners manual that changing the stereo will require a GM programming visit as a safety feature, is that true.
I tried turning the new unit on and it did nothing. I figured with all the harness connected, I would at least have power but no such luck. I guess those 3 wires I have not hooked up have more importance than I thought.
Way back in the 80`s I probably installed over 100 car stereos for people (friends, family, myself, etc) but they have certainly come a long way.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance, I love my H3, 3 yrs owner.
Cheers !!!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Can't help with your wiring, but I can tell you that aftermarket stereos DO NOT have to be programmed by any dealership. Only used OEM radios (already tied to their old Vin #) need programming.

Something from memory tells me the orange/black may be the power wire???? However, I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Sh#t).

Last edited by Doc Olds; 08-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 AM

Haha...thanks for that. I wasn't too sure about the programming thing so thanks. As far as power, all the main sources are simple wire for wire connections within the harnesses. Main orange is YES power from under the hood that is fused.
What I have found, the grn/wht is for Engine Controls System (no idea where it goes), orange/blk is for Left Audio Sig (no idea where it goes) and the pink/blk is for Audio Comm Sig (no idea where it goes). Now those went into the stock deck (within the 12 pin second harness) and I have no idea where that now ties into the new one ?
I hope someone can help with that....
Thanks !

Old 08-12-2015, 05:53 PM

u can download the svc info free.

look at wiring info

orn batt 12v fuse 13 probably large og b1
gn/wtspeed signal?
pk rad on sig.
og, (b6) rad mute.

u really need to see it

Last edited by happythree; 08-12-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:13 PM

So I simply called a car audio installer and they told me that the plug I'm talking about with those 3 wires simply unhooks from the stock deck and plugs into nothing. Well that was easy....
And I have downloaded the entire wiring manual for the 2006 H3, it tells you nothing about where to connect those wires I described. Too bad you can't find that information anywhere on line, in a manual, or ? Even if it was to tell you when you buy the kit, that would help too. No mention anywhere about that extra plug.
Also, I was given the interface module kit that has the steering wheel connections, which I don't need. I assumed that's what they were (key 1, key 2, key 3) but it doesn't tell you that anywhere...I guess they want you to have a shop install it ?
Cheers !!!

Old 08-25-2015, 12:22 PM

Just to pass along some simple information....the install is actually quite easy. You will not find a lot of simple information when you search on line.
Buying the correct interface module and install dash kit are essential ! Almost everything is wire for wire (by color). I hooked up the brake wire (for the dvd) direct to the chassis for ground. Make sure to have that wire as short as possible to avoid a hissing sound. The other one is the back up camera wire. Rather than triggering only by your reverse light, hook it up to a direct 12V source (lighter plug) so you can switch it on at any time.
The dash comes off very easy. With the battery unhooked, stick your 2 fingers into the 12V sources and lift/pull up slightly. It all pops out nicely. Carefully unhook all the plugs and it's right out of your way.
I used one of the blanks on the bottom left for my microphone and it actually clips in nicely. The blank pops out very easily too. Just take your time and don't force anything.
You will save yourself $200-300 by doing it yourself.
I hope this helps someone out there. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I will not tell you to go searching for yourself. A little help is nice to have...Cheers !

Old 08-25-2015, 12:27 PM

PS/ the original deck I bought off Ebay just didn't work so I returned it for a full refund including shipping. When I picked up the new Sony (from a local store), it plugged right in with no issues whatsoever ! I have never had an issue with Ebay stuff in the past but this one just didn't power up at all. That was the most of my headache...Cheers !