PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bed space efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Default bed space efficiency

so I pulled the plastic floor out of my SUT and am amazed at the amount of wasted space. I understand they did it to make the loading surface level but what a waste. Anybody done any thing to fix this? Im considering modifying it and doing a bed liner on the metal and ditching the plastic. anybody got any thoughts?

thanks,

Ross

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Never thought of it. Do you have any pictures to show the difference? Like to have more space in my bed if it can look decent.

What about the strap hooks in the bed? I was thinking of doing something different since they seem to get in the way when I put stuff back there. Cannot even use a tow strap either on them.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the reply! I dont have any pictures and havent done anything to it yet, was just checking to see if anyone had done anything or had the same idea I did. I'm a little concerned the thickness of the plastic liner is for sound deadening since it looks like big air pockets but not sure it would make any difference being in the bed the way it is.

It is really just the four bolts by the tie down straps that hold the plastic in the bed. the tie downs should be easy to switch out for what ever ones you want in there as long as those bolts will go through the mounting holes.

taking the bottom plastic out adds probably 3-4 inches in depth to the whole area of the bed. I was shocked at the thickness when I pulled it out. thinking about trying to make it a storage compartment that lifts up or something along those lines.

brainstorming at this point. check it out and let me know if you have any ideas.

thanks

Ross

Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Wow..GM is nuts for doing that. They could easily do a lot with it.

You have a good idea for having a compartment.

I will take the plastic off next week. I am heading upper MI for some off roading this weekend.

I will keep you posted.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Det, you get a change to take the floor out and take a look?

I still haven't come up with anything. trying to work out about how to hinge it to lift up and have room for tools, jumper cables and tow straps, the usual haul around all the time and take up space kind of stuff in a truck. Dont want to decrease the strength in the floor by taking out too many of the plastic spacers or sound deadeners or whatever you want to call them.

Let me know if you have any bright ideas.

Ross

Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 PM

Dude I just came back from a wedding in North Carolina and I am buying a house at the same time I had no chance yet, but I will this weekend!

I have an idea without looking whats under there but I hate to modify the underbody. Not that its structural that is holding the plastic together. Did you happen to take any pics? I will try to post some when I take a look and show my quick idea.

Alex

Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Ok RSmith, I cannot believe how much wasted space is under the floor plastic. I also have this wire harness that runs across the wall of the bed as well. Terrible design...

They could have easily made a compartment out of it, which I am thinking would be a nice little project. Have you removed the side plastic where the wheel wells are?

How do you post pictures on here?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 PM

hey Alex, I havent made any progress either, been moving as well.

I did not take off the plastic sides, just pulled the floor out. is there a lot of wasted space there too?

still trying to come up with a good way to hinge it and make it latch at the front. alost tempted to pull it all out and get it sprayed with bedliner. feel like that may be a bit drastic though.

Ross

Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM

I am removing all of it this weekend. Bedliner sounds like a great idea. I have about 3 1/2" deep of space.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 PM

Please take plenty of pictures and post them up!

thanks,

Ross

Quick Reply: bed space efficiency