PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for when buying a used H2

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Default What to look for when buying a used H2

So I'm new here and I'm sorry if I did not post this in the right area.

I finally got the go ahead from the wife to buy my first H2. I'm looking to buy one that is a 2003 lux model. It has 77,000 miles on it and is priced at 18,000 US. It has a professionally installed Fabtech 6" lift with HD tierods, Bilstein shocks, KMC D-Back 18" wheels, 38x15.50 Toyo Open Country MT tires with new full-size spare, Predator ECM tuner. Theres minor scratches on the paint and some wear on the interior parts. Nothing major... and the leather seats are good too.

I have no experiance on what issues or points of intrest to look for if I decide to go for this paticular H2 or any other model year.

I did see some posts here that said the folding mirrors are prone to failure.

So what are the things to look for?

I have wanted an H2 since they first came out and I can't wait. I just don't want to buy an abused H2 and put tons of money into it.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM

It sounds like that one might have not had an easy life. I wouldn't even look at one like that unless I planned to off road it or if you love the looks of it. Buy the cleanest lowest mileage unti you can afford. The year is not as important as the condition.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 PM

I have to agree with Phil, sounds like its been on some adventures. I know if I were to purchase it, I would at least put it back to a condition where its safe by pulling the lift kit off

Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 PM

I will add what should be obvious, but is often overlooked. Check EVERYTHING electrical to make sure it works. If it has a switch, turn it on. Bring several CDs and make sure the player loads and ejects all the CDs. Make sure the controls work. Bring a DVD and make sure the it and all the controls work. Does the DVD player still have the remote? You need it to access all the DVD functions. If it's missing, it will cost you $50 to replace it (and no, universal remotes don't work because they do not come with the Visio remote codes). Fold the mirrors. Adjust them up, down, left and right. Make sure all running and interior lights work. Check ALL the seat motors. Check the seat heaters. Check the back seat radio. Check the power accessory plugs (cigarette lighters). Open the moon roof. Missing an electrical issue now can be costly to fix after you own it.

By an extended warranty for peace of mind.

Last edited by VegasGuy; 05-07-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 AM

I must agree with VegasGUy, The poor dealer I got mine from delt with me for days. I would go look at something then leave think of something else to check and go back. I bet I drove him crazy (LOL) In the end I bought it and have loved it ever since! One more thing my friend owns a used car lot. So that was a great help as I could have them lift it and look underneath the truck itself.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Exclamation

If you can bring it to a independent mechanic to have it checked out. Pay attention to the drive train and all of the seals. If there are any leaks walk away unless you want to spend a few bucks on repairs. I bought a used 03 and had to replace the front dif seals $2300.00 and now a bearing went which destroyed all of the gears once the front drive shaft dropped $2700.00. So spend a little to save your self alot down the road

Old 05-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Some really good pointers... I'm going to pass up on the one I mentioned... It sure looked nice though... I'm starting to have dreams of driving my own H2 now lol.

Has anyone here bought bought off of ebay?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Default Great post guys

I'm also hunting around for an H2, great advice and posts, thanks guys

Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM

Another area to check is around the suspension. The H2 is a heavy lump. And the suspension is one of the areas that takes a pounding.

Check the rear suspension. Does it sit right??. If not at best it could be a dodgy ride height sensor or leaking bag. The worst it can be a compressor on its way out.

On the front suspension check for any play in the top and lower ball joints. The most important area is the hub assemblies. These are a known weal point. Jack the front up and move the top and bottom of the front wheels back and forth. Any movement here and your hubs are on there way out.