PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer Case Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Default Transfer Case Problem

I just bought a 2006 H2 last week with 36k miles. I knew when I bought it that the transfer case would not shift out of High. Trying to go to High Lock or Low Lock results in that button flashing for about 10 sec. then goiing off with nothing happening and no sounds from the tc actuator. So I was driving it today and noticed the switch was showing that it was in neutral when it was not, were no sounds and drove fine. Through troubleshooting it today it appears that the switch showing neutral is intermittent and affects nothing. I put a cheap scanner on it and have no codes. I have tapped on the actuator and control module and nothing. All wires and terminals on control module and actuator look good. All my encoder wires at actuator show voltage but I did not put a meter on them. I put a meter on the Motor Control A and B wires at the actuator pigtail and am getting 2.3V on both with the swith in High. When my wife presses the High Lock button it starts flashing and I'm still getting 2.3V on both Motor Control A and B wires. This leads me to believe I have a tranfer case control module problem but would appreciate some insight if possible.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 AM

My 05 shows it's in neutral sometimes too. Doesn't effect the driving at all. 4L and 4H work fine with no problems.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Put in neutral and cycle the 4WD actuator several times through all the modes, like 20 or 30 times. These actuators sit and start to bind when not used, and most aren't. Cycle the system at least every month thereafter and you should be good to go.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Default Insight requested.........Insight given

Congratulations on your recent purchase of your H2.

Many times we see new owners do the same thing you are describing regarding your transfer case. Allow me to also help shed a bit of light for you here.

When you push any of the 4WD controls and do not have the man transmission in the correct position (neutral), by default the computer automatically protects these components by simply blinking at you for 10 seconds and resets itself. It will completely ignore your settings. You MUST place your transmission in neutral FIRST before making ANY changes to the transfer case. No exceptions.

Once in neutral, you are free to select any settings you wish based on the terrain you are about to encounter. If at home for example, you may want to "exercise the gears" by simply staying in place, putting your tranny in neutral then one at a time switch from one transfer case setting to another then back. I prefer to go out into an open field or desert and just drive around a secluded area and change the settings then drive around a bit so all the gears get the fluids to circulate around them. Go from 4 high to 4lock then 4low and use the locker when your in 4 lo. (The locker will only work in 4low).

Another thing you might want to consider is downloading an owners manual. Use your search engines web browser and simply type in 2006 Hummer H2 Owners Manual and see several places that offer this free download. At least they way youll have an electronic version of how your vehicle works plus other facets of this rather unique vehicle. Its well worth the time to read over the manual. Of course, you always have places like this site to ask questions on as well There are actually several other H2 website and in time you will find them. Most of us are on all these H2 sites as they each offer a different variety of members and information.

Good luck and hope this helped you!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've tried cycling the system quite a bit but I'll try some more. I thought tapping on the actuator with a hammer may help but so far it hasn't. I also expected to see some voltage change on the motor control wires and haven't. The actuator binding up makes since with the vehicle having such low miles and appears to have been a family cruiser that was never taken out of High. I think I'll remove the actuator and try to cycle it and the tc by hand. Going to change all the fluids today and give here a tune up while I'm at it. I'll report my findings.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks fyr145. Guess I should focus more on typing than my coffee and tv. Anyways I appreciate your detailed response, but I've tried all that. I've got my owner's manual, google, and I got alldatadiy hoping to get some more electrical information on the system. Thanks for the welcome. One more cup of coffee and its go time. Be back later with findings.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Default youre welcome!

You're quite welcome. I would be curious to see what you came up with. Lets see what the next chapter brings.............

Were here to help when you're ready.

fyr145

Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Same thing happened on mine back in 2008. replaced the actuator motor bolted on the side of the transfer case and problem solved. haven't had any issues with the t-case or the button cluster since.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Default motor?

If it is the motor, there are plenty of them on eBay.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Default transfer case not shifting

hi everyone. this is my first hummer bought it 2 years ago. i got it stuck pretty bad and blow up the tranny and killed the transfer case chain. i replaced all and it would not shift the transfer case and had no lights on my shift buttons. i bought a new control motor for it. the transfer case was in 4lo when i was installing the new motor. i plugged in the motor and pushed the 4lo button and the motor went to 4lo. i installed the motor and and now it will not shift out of 4lo. i took motor back off and tryed to shift it again and all that happens is the light will blink then go back to 4lo. any help will be greatfully apperciated.. thank you for reading this. please help.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Problem