PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Default Transfer case issues?

I am having a problem with my '04 H2 dropping into 4W LOCK intermittently (dash indicator LED does not change). Its intermittent but I notice it more when I am parking or backing up. I can hear and feel it locking. The steering binds and acceleration is like riding with the parking brake on. My dealer checked out the transfer case and associated parts as well as codes and said there was not a problem - even though they experienced the same problem in a test drive. Hmmm

I found another post relating to a short drive shaft issue that could cause damage to the transfer case and has similar symptoms. They wrote - "Some Hummer H2 models have a problem that causes a leaking transfer case, vibrations going down the road and/or the truck will not move. Some have complained of being stuck in 4WD. The problem lies in the fact that GM, somehow managed to install drives hafts that are too short. Can you believe that? The short drive shaft cause the bushings to wear causing the problems described. The issue was supposedly fixed sometime in the 2004 model year so your truck is out of warranty by now. If you are footing the bill yourself, I can save you some coin. Instead of buying a whole new drive shaft, take it to a shop that does drives hafts (most will) and have them just replace the yoke (get one from the dealer). This is the part that is too short. It's much cheaper than buying a whole new drive shaft " -

My dealer totally dismissed the drive shaft issue and tells me that there is no problem. They are now saying it may be caused by the circumference of my tires. Any truth to this or are they just out of ideas?

On a side note, I had to get my passenger side mirror replaced due to a motor failure. The part came in today and the dealer called me to get my opinion prior to installation. Good thing too. It seems that the lettering on the mirror that indicates "object are closer than they appear" is only available in Arabic. SERIOUSLY? BTW - I'm in Buffalo, NY. The Hummer dealership in Buffalo, NY only has mirrors in Arabic - none available in English. What's with that?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DerbyFreak
On a side note, I had to get my passenger side mirror replaced due to a motor failure. The part came in today and the dealer called me to get my opinion prior to installation. Good thing too. It seems that the lettering on the mirror that indicates "object are closer than they appear" is only available in Arabic. SERIOUSLY? BTW - I'm in Buffalo, NY. The Hummer dealership in Buffalo, NY only has mirrors in Arabic - none available in English. What's with that?
No way would I accept that excuse. Like Biden would say, "This is a big f***ing deal." Someone is yanking your chain.