PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transfer box leaking. help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Default transfer box leaking. help

Hi guys,
I've had a look at my transfer case tonight and the leak has gotten worse.
The seal where the prop shaft comes out and goes to the rear axel, has a lot of movement and is leaking terribly with oil.

Can anyone tell me what parts i need to fix this? i can find the seal on the diagrams for the car but not the bearings etc? im assuming the bearing is warn which is why the thing is leaking but cannot find the part number etc.
help
thanks
Niall

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM

i would just replace the seal on that. there is a bushing that can be replaced but i am not sure of any bearing that you can get to with out removing the tail shaft housing. it should be fine. the common problem is just the seal.. i hope this helps..

Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 AM

thanks for the reply,
even with the large amount of play? do you think the seal being worn would cause that much play in movement?
If it was the bearing, where would i find the replacement part?
thanks
niall

Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Hi,You just need to change the seal ... I switched the seal and back cover therefore my workshop broke pulled down oil plug ..would you change the bushing you have to switch back cover ....... only the seal and working time150 usd for me in sweden .. the back cover 350 USD plus working time .

regards sweden

Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM

thanks but surely the seal being worn would not account for the large amount of play in the prop shaft, you can litterally move it around half an inch or so inside the transfer case. i would have thought a worn bearing would have caused that? unless there is a bearing in the seal?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM

replace the seal and the oil in transfer case> make sure that all tires are worn the same if not it can heat up the fluid to the point it blows out the seal if it gets hot enough...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM

thanks for the reply, so replacing the seal will cure the "play" with the prop shaft as it goes into the transfer case?
my tires are fairly worn on the front (evenly) but hardly worn at all on the rear, normal?
cheers

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM

You must not rotate your tires?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by smileynialley
thanks for the reply, so replacing the seal will cure the "play" with the prop shaft as it goes into the transfer case?
my tires are fairly worn on the front (evenly) but hardly worn at all on the rear, normal?
cheers

You, My friend have an all wheel drive/fulltime four wheel drive vehicle. You HAVE to make sure your tires are evenly worn at all times. You cannot replace them in pairs or one at a time unless you are willing to suffer the damage caused to your transfer case.

In order to minimize the difference in overall diameter that will occur in the way the fronts and rears wear you should rotate your tires every 5,000 miles.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM

You may want to replace all your tires any tire store store should give trade in on the better tires... is the play your talking about rotational or lateral... its normal for rotational play and is OK to have a little bit of lateral however if its excessive lateral that is the transfer case is a output shaft bearing may need replaced...

Quick Reply: transfer box leaking. help