PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange box behind passenger kick panel....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Default Strange box behind passenger kick panel....

In the course of installing the Boulder Accessories DVD headrests...I had occasion to remove the kick panel in the passenger footwell, to gain access to the FM antenna connections for the FM transmitter.

Anyway...I was all up in there when I saw this black box...appeared to be about an inch thick, maybe the size of a pack of cigarettes, and it had two Video In RCA connections at one end.

As far as I know, my H2 is stock....I have no idea what this is for. I plan to look at this more over the weekend, and will try to post pics. Does the OEM NAV have anything like this, maybe pre-configured for a backup camera?

BTW...headrests installed no problem, though I think I would rather have screens a bit bigger and maybe with DVD built into them...but I couldn't arguer with the deal I got, so we make due with what we have..right?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Any chance you could list some of the details/tricks of the install? I picked one of these up the other day but haven't really looked into what it's going to take to install it. I did look at the directions and they're not very good.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 AM

The directions suck. LOL THE hardest part, for me, was fishing the cables down the backs of the seats. Gentle work with a coat hanger down from the top, attach some small gauge wire and fish that to the top, then use that to pull the video cable down. That gets the video cables to the center console. Next is power....that is the top left 6way opening in the fuse box up behind the e-brake. FM transmitter from the passenger side, plugs right in and then route that under the carpet right in front of seat....then to center console. Then it is just a matter of plugging everything in. Headsets and FM transmitter work great!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Oh, route the power under the dash to centerline and then tuck it up under the center panel and route to the unit.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Cool, thanks! Any of those connectors need to be cut off or do they actually work as is?

Old 06-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Everything was 100%b plug and play for me. No cutting whatsoever.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Did the install when I got home from work today, not bad at all. I dont have that little black box on mine so yours might be aftermarket.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Actually....it is a little blue box, wrapped in black foam. Definitely aftermarket...probably from a rearview camera from the previous owner. Has RGB out on one end, with brightness control...Video1 and Video2 RCA output jacks on the other end, with power in (looks like 12VDC) and a blue lead labeled "relay". The only cable that is connected is the one big plug for RGB Out (like a PC monitor connector)....can't trace where it goes, but it appears to go to the OEM Nav unit.

Definitely not part of the headrest DVD system.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info! It was a simple job, I took my time to route all the wires safely so they wouldn't chafe on anything. Didn't need the crappy instructions but used the tips from this post. Two hours from start to watching a video!

Last edited by Beltfedbob; 07-12-2010 at 08:47 PM.