PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy an Hummer H2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Default Should I buy an Hummer H2 ?

I have always been a huge fan of the Hummer H2, and I'm quite saddened by the news of the shut down of the Hummer brand despite the many efforts to keep it alive...

With a new baby on the way, we're looking to buy a new Hummer H2 but I'm wondering if it is still worth it ? Especially that I'm looking to keep it for 5-10 years

What future SUV would replace the boldness of the Hummer H2 ?

ps: Cadillac Escalade is not an option... there's just nothing Iconic about it... it's just like a GMC Yukon to me...

Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM

That is your personal decision. Can you financially handle a truck that gets 10mpg? A Hummer is only worth what you want to get out of it. Your post doesn't mention what type of off-rad activities you will be engaged in. We met a couple with a yellow H2 at Home Depot yesterday who have NEVER been off-road with their H2... - we really want a yellow H2 to go with our yellow H3 - but I digress...

Anyway, What future SUV has the same "boldness" of an H2? NOTHING.

IMHO, the new 2007 and newer Tahoe's and Suburbans are NOT off road capable. With the low clearance front bumper they are pretty much on-road; not too much snow vehicles now. I had a 2001 Tahoe (totaled June 1st) that was modified for off-road but was NO WHERE NEAR the capability off-road as the Hummer H3 or H2.

The Tahoe and Suburban can tow more than an H2; but the off-road capability of the Hummer cannot be beat. Don't even consider a Denali or Caddy if you want a 4lo capability. They don't have 4Lo - only AWD.

Hope you do well with you decision,
Cheers, Doug in Colorado Springs, CO

Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM

All the points DJINCO makes are valid. But looking at the bigger picture of a baby on the way and the direction of our economy, it depends upon your job security. Things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM

With a new baby, I can't imagine a safer vehicle, not to mention it's all-weather versatility and capabilities. Without the third seat, there's plenty of room for all of the baby's "things". With the car seat in the middle of our H2's rear seat for our grand-daughter, there's still room for people to sit on either side. Wasn't so in our H3X.
They are right, though. The most I've ever gotten on my H2 in 12.1 mpg (all freeway, no wind, cruise set and not running a/c)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

holysh*tballs 12mpg highway? I'd hang myself lol.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

I do a lot of city driving and I don't ride it hard I do use the ac a lot in Texas so I get 10.7 mpg, my average cost per gallon is 2.486, with a cost of $0.233 a mile. If you can afford it get one, I love mine.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing safer or more comfortable to haul your family around in. Can't hardly keep my wife out of mine. Mileage isn't that different from an Escalade, Tahoe or Suburban. Outside of having four wheels and a motor none of those three have anything in common with an H2. If you haven't yet you should go drive one, but take your checkbook if you do because you will love it.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:44 PM

As far as gas mileage is concerned......I used to have a Suburban with a 7.4L 454 cu in engine that I used to pull a 30 ft travel trailer for about 5 years. No matter how I drove it...city, country, interstate, up the steepest mountains in KY, with or without the trailer in tow....I got 9 MPG period. And it didn't come near my 2004 H2 in comfort, convenience and all around driving pleasure and get 10-15MPG....no I no longer have the 30ft trailer. The cost of the fuel is part of paying for something you enjoy. Ain't no free lunch
________
Toys Couple

Last edited by olfart; 04-03-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM

Thank you all for the generous responses...

Both my wife and I run our online business from home so the MPG doesn't really bother me... I would think that most hummer owners are business owners who don't really have to commute daily to a job... I don't think it's resonable to commute to a job in an H2... unless you make 250k/y + at your job.

Now that I'm quite decided to buy the H2, what do you think is the life span for this king of SUVs ? How many miles ? I would love to hear from the early owners of the H2. 2003, 04, 05, 06...

Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

Um dude its a HUMMER with a small GM small block v8. 2-300k miles without issue if you take care of it.

Quick Reply: Should I buy an Hummer H2 ?