PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running wire through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Default Running wire through firewall

I can easily see the hole from under my dash inside the cabin where another wire was run through the firewall but I can't see where it comes out in the engine bay.. is it underneath the wheel well cover? That seems to be where it would line up based on where it is inside....

Trying to run wire for light bars, etc.

What are your experiences and best ways to run the wiring at the firewall?

Also, I've attached the diagram for the wiring harness. One question: since it's not labeled, do the red/black wires that are between the relay and switch also need to be connected to the battery and frame/ground?

Attached Thumbnails Running wire through firewall-41lbicrx1tl.jpg  

Last edited by accely; 08-09-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Found the answer to the wiring harness at least, that red/black wire are simply to make the green and red light work on the switch, if you dont connect those wires, its not a big deal and it wont drain ur battery then.

any thoughts on the firewall?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM

I have an entire bundle that I ran through the boot that covers the steering shaft, exits right above the wheel well.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I have an entire bundle that I ran through the boot that covers the steering shaft, exits right above the wheel well.
So you can see it from the engine bay without removing anything?
Would you mind posting a pic from inside and outside?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:06 PM

You can somewhat see it from the engine bay, I wouldn't be able to get a pic because its somewhat concealed by the wheel well sheet metal. On the inside its a big rubber circle BUT there's 2 sides to it so you have to punch through both. It's a PITA. The second time I ran wires I ran extra wires just in case I need them down the road.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:50 AM

there is also a 1/2 hole just to the left and up of the steering shaft boot LoJac is talking about. I fed three wires through and it comes out just above the break pedal. I kept feeding wire through till I could see it under the dash and pulled them through. it is a pain to get a pic...I haven't powered mine up yet, been to damn busy.....

Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 PM

Figured i would add these pictures to this thread for future reference. I drilled through the frame as seen in the picture, each side has rubber foam insulation. Doesn't matter what size you choose really.. I made my big enough to get the wire connectors through the hole. I also added the flex tubing for more protection of the wires and a cleaner look.

Attached Thumbnails Running wire through firewall-wiring1.jpg   Running wire through firewall-wiring2.jpg   Running wire through firewall-wiring3.jpg   Running wire through firewall-switches.jpg