PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall - heated windshield fluid gizmo - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Default Recall - heated windshield fluid gizmo - help!

My wiring harness to the heated WW fluid system was recalled a few months ago, and I got it fixed.

So I get a call today from our Hummer dealer about our 07 H2 with the heated windshield washer fluid option. 2 days after the recall was announced on the news. Must be a really important recall. No letter, but a personal call from GM. Wow! Apparently the first recall did not fix the problem.

They tell me all the H2 with this option all again recalled. And the company that supplied it has gone bankrupt and closed. Then they tell me that they have to "remove the system" from my vehicle, since it could otherwise catch on fire and burn to the ground. Liability I guess if they just disconnected it instead. They offer me $105 (canadian as I am in Canada) to pay me for the part they are yanking out of our H2.

Then I would be left with one less option, and a useless button on the dash. They said that the can not replace the unit, as no other exists in the world that they could retrofit.

So I ask you, Hummer braniacs, what to do? What actually catches on fire, a module or wiring? Can the system be simply disabled by removing ALL electrical current from the heated WW system, and just leave it in the vehicle? Does it have its own dedicated fused circuit, or not? I need a definitive answer, not just a guess, as this is very important.

The answer to this question will undoubtedly help thousands of other H2 owners to avoid butchering of their H2 by GM.

Help Please!

Last edited by finall; 06-10-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 PM

There appears to be a replacement wiring harness with an inline fuse that fixes the problem. See the post here:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...7&postcount=16

Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 PM

That would be the OLD recall. Already done to our H2 back in April.

I am talking about the NEW recall. The old recall (wiring harness change) did not stop H2 from spontaneously combusting and burning up. So the vehicle is being recalled to REMOVE the heated windshield washer system.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 PM

Then I would say unless you can get some electrical engineering type to design a DIY thermal overload sensor and current limiting circuit then it looks like the options are pretty limited.

Last edited by VegasGuy; 06-11-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 AM

Mine has the heated Washer fluid. I have never used it and would just as soon have the $100. Not a big deal to me. Maybe someday I could use the button to power up some fog lights.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

BUMP - Anyone have an answer to the problem?

What actually catches on fire, a module or wiring? Can the system be simply disabled by removing ALL electrical current from the heated WW system, and just leave it in the vehicle? Does it have its own dedicated fused circuit, or not? I need a definitive answer, not just a guess, as this is very important.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM

I am going to disconnect this myself, instead of letting the dealer chop (yes, literally, they cut off the connectors and tape them) up my Hummer.

How do you disconnect these connectors (labelled #1 and #2) ? Do you need a special tool? What do you do to get them apart (they are locked together)?

How do you keep water off the wiring harness connector ends that stay in the vehicle?

I presume by disconnecting these, that the heated WW pump can't burn down the H2?

Attached Thumbnails Recall - heated windshield fluid gizmo - help!-ww-pump-diagram.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 PM

1 and 2 are held on with a plastic connector. Use a screwdriver or trim panel tool to pop the connector off the holder and then you can unplug them. When I had my recall done they also removed a fuse right next to the battery.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

But HOW do I unplug the connector? The small one is done, but on the large one I can't see how to disconnect the 2 halves.

Good to knwo about removal of the "fuse" also. Looked at my schematic in the owner's manual for the fuse for the Heated WW fluid. My manual talks about it, but mysteriously does not show it in the manual, or underneath the fusebox lid. I know there is one fuse and one relay that may be related, but can't tell on our 07 H2.

I removed one fuse, and the wipers stopped working, so wrong fuse. That one was just labelled as wipers. Nothing about heated WW. Can you take a pic of the fusebox and point to which fuse, or tell me what yours is labelled as? Obviously mine is mislabelled as something else. Weird!

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 PM

The fuse they took out was on the outside of the fusebox right by the battery. It was a flat, black piece with a nut on each end. It had a red wire on one side of it. You have to remove the nut on each stud to remove it. It must have only been for the heated washer fluid because everything else still works. I rode my motorcycle home and left my H2 at work so I cant take any pics now.

Quick Reply: Recall - heated windshield fluid gizmo - help!