PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shoes Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Default New Shoes Recommendations

I was lucky with my last 4 tires, found them on craigslist, spares that the owners had taken off that were still brand new. Total for all 4 was about $600. Its time to put on a new set and was wondering recommendations for the group. I take several long trips a month so I need good life, not an off-roader but would like some all season with good rain grip. Going to stay with the stock 17", looking at buying the XD Series, Rockstar IIs in Matte Black.

XD SERIES® ROCKSTAR II Wheels - Satin Black Rims

I have the spare still on but going to use the hard cover to hide that its an original wheel/tire.

Thanks for the recommendaiton in advance!

Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM

Like those wheels ...
I went with the duratracks goodyear

Little expensive but after more than a year Im still happy with it . I do often road trips , got to drive storm , snow , ice mud etc and it handle very well

Only 2 negative points .. price and you need to use the way it feels at first . Too soft so the ride will feels on the unsafe . After a few miles drove you will actually love the way it feels

Also those tires looks awesome for a 17"

Old 01-20-2016, 08:44 AM

I vote for the BFG KO2s.

I've had absolutely no problems in rain with these. They just grip the pavement.
The ride are soft. They ride more like a passenger tire than an AT. You'd never know that these are E load tires.
I only have 12k miles on them, but they seem to not be wearing at all. If they wear anything like the original KOs, I should get almost 90k miles out of them.
The longer I own these, the more I like them. They just do everything I want besides having excellent mudding characteristics (it's not fair to compare them to a mud tire).
The only downside is that these tend to grab & hold rocks.

You have two fitment options: 315/70r17 or 35x12.50r17.
I have the latter. The 315s weren't released a year ago.
According to tire rack, the 35s are wider (10.2" vs 9.9") & weigh 2 lb more. They are also $5 more a tire. I think I paid around $300 a tire a year ago. They've dropped $21 since then.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:23 PM

I have the ko2's also on xd rockstar II. MY TIRE SIZE IS 37x12.5x17. Love the rims and tires. But I agree they are a vacuum cleaner for rocks.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:07 PM

How are you liking the 37s in D load? What PSI are you running?
37s weren't available when I needed new tires.

I'm running 35 PSI cold right now & it's pretty damn cushy, in a good way. They ALMOST mask my worn out bushings/ball joints, almost...

Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
How are you liking the 37s in D load? What PSI are you running?
37s weren't available when I needed new tires.

I'm running 35 PSI cold right now & it's pretty damn cushy, in a good way. They ALMOST mask my worn out bushings/ball joints, almost...
I love the ride. Just awesome tires. I have them at 44 psi.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:58 PM

Another option is the Super swamper--http://4wheelonline.com/Interco_Supe...per_Tires.1516 specifically the Vortrac. This tire is smooth and relatively quiet on the highway. Mileage is not the best since its compound is a bit soft however traction is really good during inclement conditions.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Default dont do Toyo Open Country

I have toyo Open Countrys.. Good on Highway but suck on Mud... and not much good on icy road but maybe nothing would have been good on that. But on Mud they gum up way to easy... Just sayin

Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 AM

Before I got my current H2, I ended up getting a Ram 2500 stuck in mud set of Toyo AT2s. I had gone through the same depth mud in an 03 H2 w/ the original KOs. They ran through it like nothing, not even deflated. The AT2s are garbage.

How'd you manage to get them to ride well on the road? I felt everything at 40-44psi... anything lower wobbled like hell. Anything over was like sitting on a stack of jagged bricks.

You can imagine, I'm not a fan... BFG for days, here.
If the vehicle was never going to be taken offroad, I'd also consider the Michelin Defender LTX M/S if OP was going with 20s, since the tire comes in a 35x12.5r20. It would be like riding on a cloud. He'd most likely pick up 0.5 to even 1mpg. They are extremely efficient tires that should last at least 70k miles.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by dr.drew2
I have toyo Open Countrys.. Good on Highway but suck on Mud... and not much good on icy road but maybe nothing would have been good on that. But on Mud they gum up way to easy... Just sayin
I have the open country exteme2's. I won't be buying these again at $550 a tire (canadian, 2 yrs ago when our dollar was decent). They are wearing really well. But they hydroplane in rain, braking not great. Crappy in snow and mud. They look good aesthetically but this is the most i have spent in tires and am disappointed in their performance.