PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manifold Bolts - To replace or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Default Manifold Bolts - To replace or not?

Just became the proud owner of a beautiful 2007 H2. The vehicle has 84,000 (seemingly pampered) miles on it.

The only thing that I can find wrong with it, is that there is a missing manifold bolt head on the driver side-closest to the firewall. As it is, it does not seem to be leaking exhaust or causing any problems. I have not checked the depth of the break to see how far it it's broken off, or if it's even there at all. (Man, that would be nice!) I will check this out tomorrow.

The OCD in me wants to tackle it now and also change out all of the other bolts as well. However, I am hesitant to do something that might open a can of worms...

So, to all of the experts-should I take care of the (possibly) broken bolt now, or just monitor it and see if things get worse? And, should I attempt to change out the other manifold bolts or is there a great risk of snapping them off in the process?

I have read a good bit about the issue with HUMMER manifold bolts, and I guess I am just feeling out what I might be dealing with. All input is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 AM

If it is not leaking I would let it be. Congrats on the new rig. You will love it.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM

I have the manifold leak but after the truck warms up the sound goes away. I figure i will just leave it until it gets a lot worse or i redo the exhaust.
I say leave it.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:32 PM

I agree, wait till it leaks. Manifold has to come off to extract broken bolt anyways so at that time get all new bolts and new gaskets. Easiest way is to weld a nut on broken bolt then turn it out. may have to weld it on several times but it will turn it out.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:47 PM

Thanks everyone-three in a row say to leave it alone so that sounds good to me!

When I was looking for an H2, I drove two others before settling on the one I have. I looked at an '05 (two broken bolts) and an '06 (three broken bolts, all on one side) and somehow neither seemed to have an exhaust leak! I guess I was lucky to only have one broken bolt on mine...

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this vehicle. I only wish I would have bought one sooner!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 AM

I have the same problem... I patched it up with this until I can replace them all Exhaust Manifold Bolt Repair Kit #KAP169 - Kral Auto Parts

Old 09-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Piranha
I have the same problem... I patched it up with this until I can replace them all Exhaust Manifold Bolt Repair Kit #KAP169 - Kral Auto Parts

I just installed that kit yesterday! A fix like this makes a lot more sense than the alternative, and the work involved. Fortunately, I only have one (rear driver) broken bolt on the head. It seems that one is the one that usually goes first. Hopefully, the Kral fix will keep more bolts from breaking. In doing some more reading on the issue, it seems that this is a common problem for LS motors from 1999-2007. (At first I thought it was confined to Hummers) I have been reading that a good many of these bolts are snapping when torque is applied to them in an attempt to remove. I guess it's best to wait to be in a position to be able to fix them all before attempting to remove bolts!

Interestingly, I also have a 2001 Dodge Ram P/U with the same problem!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:02 PM

im in same position... with more than one broken bolt . would i need a kit for each (I guess)

not having any issue but the noise till.it warms is embarrassing

Old 09-18-2016, 12:06 PM

Just wait until more go then pull the stock manis and throw some LT's on it!

That will be my plan eventually.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
im in same position... with more than one broken bolt . would i need a kit for each (I guess)

not having any issue but the noise till.it warms is embarrassing

Kral makes brackets for broken bolts in any position on the manifold. They are very nice people BTW.

Although I've always known one bolt was missing, I didn't think I had a leak because I wasn't really listening for one. It was faint but it was there. It was unnoticeable after a few minutes of running.

Since I installed the bracket, the leak is completely gone. It is really a great fix! You wouldn't even notice the bracket unless you were looking for it.

I hope this takes care if the issue for good, and no other bolts break...

Quick Reply: Manifold Bolts - To replace or not?