PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the change from ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 PM

I work in an office, more of a weekend warrior. It will be more of a toy, but I do like to be able to get work done with it as well. I can put plywood or drywall in the trailer if need be.

When going through things to make sure they work, with the last one when I pressed the rear diff lock button, it just flashed, but never went solid. The 4hi and 4lo flashed, clunked, and went solid when it was engaged. Is there a specific set of circumstances that have to be met for the diff lock to engage? I was in neutral when doing it.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM

The rear diff lock will only engage if it is in 4L Lock.

Attached is a brochure that shows the different modes and engaging them.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
h2-4wd-allradhandbuch-englisch.pdf (283.1 KB, 16876 views)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM

I'm going to see this one on saturday:
2003 Used HUMMER H2 HEATED SEATS, LEATHER at Prestige Auto Group Serving Avenel, NJ, IID 14918496

The only thing that stands out is the airbag does not match the steering wheel, which makes me think the airbag has deployed at some point.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Looks to be in pretty good shape. Definitley get a carfax report on it. From up north I'd be worried about rust so crawl around underneath.

Its missing the lower front grille. You can get aftermarket ones under $100. A factory original probably $250 but might find a used on on eBay.

Looks to have had the dreaded roof leaks. The headliner is pretty skanky at the front edge of the sunroof. Hopefully the leaks have all been fixed. There is plenty of info if you search on H2 roof leaks. On mine the headliner is ruined right along the windshield. I'm going to soon have a local trim shop recover the headliner in suede. No idea what it will cost yet though. Its a big somewhat fragile headliner to remove. If it still leaks the carpet will probably be damp under the floormats, potentially in the front, back seat, and even in the rear hatch at the very back.

All things that you could fix and use as ammo to drive the price down. I just got my 2003 with 115k on the odometer for 13,500. Mine came with a set of brand new tires, new wheels, new slotted brakes and ceramic pads, new air bags and shocks in the rear. Mine was leaking though, sunroof not closing on it's own (have to push it when closing), disc changer not working, and a few minor things like a fender light out.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM

FYI, I found this truck on autotrader.com for $14890. Same VIN, same dealer. Was trying to find you something a little more reasonable on price. The site listed 27 vehicles within 50 miles of 07001 zip.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM

I saw it for $14.8 too, it's also on ebay, and at a different dealer entirely. The guy on the phone seemed a bit sketchy, so I'm going in with caution. I saw the head liner but wasn't sure if it was jsut the camera or not. I have no desire for a sunroof, just one more thing to be a problem. It just happens to have one.

My budget is in the 15k range. I'm in PA, so I'd have to get it PA inspected, which is harder than NJ inspection.

This is another one I just found that seems a bit better than the NJ one: Used 2003 HUMMER H2 For Sale | Hazleton PA

Old 03-15-2017, 06:00 PM

Alright, I'm ready. Going to see it tomorrow. 64k on the clock. Only visible imperfection is a dent on the passenger side lower door. It has a pioneer nav/radio, would it be hard to remove it and put a factory system in you think? I'm not a fan of aftermarket radios. I'd also like to get that box that converts your onstar to bluetooth, if anyone has input on how well it works, I'd love to hear it.

Also I've never messed with body repair, it doesn't look like the paint is damaged, so I'm wondering how much it'd be to have that door repaired.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 PM

Just got back from #2. I went in thinking of starting at 14k based on needing hubs and a dent in the rear driver door.

Walked up and it was snow covered, and salt. Ok, it just snowed pretty bad. Looked at the dent, it wasn't bad, I could have lived with it. I started it up, slow to crank, ok it's been sitting, but it fired up. Drove it forward about 20' to dry asphalt.

Got under it with my flash light. Good news was the engine was dry. The bad news was rust everywhere. The front wheel hubs will both need to be changed, which requires the calipers/brakes/rotors off. However when I looked at them, I couldn't put them back on in good conscience. They'd need replaced as well.

Got up and opened the hood, the coolant resivour was almost empty, fluid was pink, though. The hood latch was either disconnected, or non-functional.

Got in and started it up. Engine sounded ok, CEL on, forgot my scanner so I figured I'd deal with that later if it came to it. The aftermarket touchscreen nav didn't respond to any screen touches or button pushes, nor did any of the steering wheel buttons work. Put it into drive, and pulled out. Heard some wheel skipping but thought nothing of it.

During the test drive, the exhaust screamed, and the transmission whined. It was so loud I couldn't hear the radio if it worked. Trans seemed to not really want to shift out of 2nd until very late, same with 3rd. There was a huge crack across the dash.

When we got back to the dealer I noticed it was in 4hi. I switched to high lock, and low lock, and back, but couldn't get it out of 4wd. At that point I was pretty much done.

I left without making an offer, thanked the sales guy for his time. I'm pretty sure he knew what I was thinking when we parted ways.

1.5 hours out, 45min there, 1.5hr back. It was an interesting learning experience. it made the first one I checked out look like an all-star.

Saturday I'm going to see another, and have a 4th lined up after that. If one sticks out as good, I'll go with it. If not, I'll reconsider #1 at this point.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 PM

I just went from a 01 f350 4x4 7.3 for the past 10 years to a 03 h2 with 120k miles on it as of last night. I live in south Louisiana it took me a while to find one in the 15k price range with under 150k miles I am pleased with this one and so far so good I love it compared to my loud rough 7.3. Today I found a 6 page dealership receipt for $6500 worth of repairs done at 100k miles everything from transfer case to air conditioning, brakes, rear seal, valve cover gaskets, fan, hydro boost, hubs etc etc so that was nice to find. Good luck man I'm glad I made the change so far. I'm keeping my 7.3 for about a month just in case

Old 03-17-2017, 04:56 AM

I saw, congratulations. Looks very nice.

There weren't a lot of buyers guides I saw out there for hummers, so I wanted to detail my findings for other prospective buyers. Also it's been a decade since I bought a truck, and back then it was nearly new, where the newest H2 is 9 years old at this point. Wanted to make sure I was covering my bases.

Quick Reply: Making the change from ford