PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Removal Delay - Battery - ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Default Key Removal Delay - Battery - ???

Dudes,

Has anyone encountered this situation?

I replaced my battery with a new battery. Drove it several miles, put it in park, and turned the key to shut it off. The key got stuck in the ACC position for 5-8 seconds while I messed with it and then popped free.

So, I drove it around last night stopping and turning it off/on. Here is what is happening - the key gets stuck initially. After 5-8 seconds in park I hear a "click" in the steering column next to the ignition. Once this happens the key is free and come out. Also, once this happens and I don't drive it, I can turn the key off and on as many times as I want without any problems.

I'm at work right now and won't be able to try this until this evening but do you think if I disconnect the battery and return posts and touch them together for a reset that this will possibly clear the computer allowing for the key to turn off like normal?

Or something else that I'm missing?

I've checked all the wires around the shifter and everything looks good. It doesn't get stuck in park either.

Any insight would be appreciated!!

I have a 2003 H2.

Thanks,

Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Problem solved!

Here is what I discovered. I took the shift handle and cup holders out. Instead of just a visual inspection I started feeling the connections. When I pressed on the connection (passenger side on the shift assembly next to the silver override button) it replicated the "click" noise I was hearing right before it would let the key out. I made sure the connection was tight, no wires pulled from the connection, and moving with the assembly without kinks.

It's fixed! Took it for a test spin, turning it off/on after driving about 10 times. The key comes out immediately after turning the key off again just like before.

Still can't wrap my head around the delayed release!

Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM

...and a ridiculous coincidence with the battery replacement!!

The last coincidence was the climate control sensor failing the same time as the freon being empty due to a leak. That only took about 6 months to get figured out.