PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is having a spare?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Default How important is having a spare?

Right now, my "cargo" area is taken up by the spare tire and 3rd row jump seat, rendering my cargo area to NONE.

I am thinking about just taking out the tire and seat?? I like the tire carriers, but don't have a grand to drop on getting one??

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 AM

I took mine out. Doing a tire change by yourself would be a pita to begin with.
I got a simple set to plug a tire with. You have the on board compressor to air it back up with. If the tire is blown and shredded I will call AAA.
Only on vacations I will probably take it with me or in case I go odff roading.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:24 AM

You can get a used tire carrier for less than a grand. IF you do, make sure you get a 05+ style...

Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Serious? sure you dont need it often...only needed once in 3yrs off roading in dunes, when a dessert shrubg sliced the tyre wall ....but id rather change a tyre than put it on a recovery truck and get a taxi...get rid of the seat first...or put carrier on the back or roof rack mount (and hi ab arm to get it down)...good luck..

Old 03-02-2012, 01:01 PM

You all do realize that seat folds down?

Spare tires are useless

Until you have a flat right after you remove the spare. I haven't had a flat on one of my cars in alot of years----forever maybe. But when I bought my brand new zero mile cargo trailer for a long road trip, I pondered if I really needed to drop the extra coin for a spare. The very first stop I made 150 miles away from the house I'd caught a nail and had a flat. I hadn't bothered to drop the extra coin for a spare, after all the trailer was brand new and those tires were going to live forever.

Damned crowded if you do, damned lonely in the middle of nowhere if you don't!!

Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 PM

I took the 3rd seat out, put it in a big garbage bag and hung it on the wall of my garage for the odd occasion when I need it. I also bought an external tire carrier off of CL. I am happy with the result and now have lots of room in the rear.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Default I have one

Originally Posted by chesh97
Right now, my "cargo" area is taken up by the spare tire and 3rd row jump seat, rendering my cargo area to NONE.

I am thinking about just taking out the tire and seat?? I like the tire carriers, but don't have a grand to drop on getting one??
No need to spend a grand. I have mine that I took off from my '07, its all factory just sitting in my garage here ready to go. Shipping would be expensive but nothing compared to the grand you would spend at the dealership. I'm asking $450. + shipping for mine. Theres a guy on ebay right now asking $900 for his. And another wants $480. + 120 to ship.

Last edited by fyr145; 03-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by fyr145
No need to spend a grand. I have mine that I took off from my '07, its all factory just sitting in my garage here ready to go. Shipping would be expensive but nothing compared to the grand you would spend at the dealership. I'm asking $450. + shipping for mine. Theres a guy on ebay right now asking $900 for his. And another wants $480. + 120 to ship.

What state are you located in?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Indy
You can get a used tire carrier for less than a grand. IF you do, make sure you get a 05+ style...

How do I know which year? I have seen a couple that look different. Some have a place for relocating the plate etc.

Just not sure which kind I even need?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Default state

Originally Posted by chesh97
What state are you located in?

Arizona

Quick Reply: How important is having a spare?