Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Help reducing Sun glare from front cattle/brush guard into drivers face

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 AM
Default Help reducing Sun glare from front cattle/brush guard into drivers face

Not sure if it is old age..( MINE !) or the sun's movement...but all of a sudden I am getting an annoying / blinding amount of sun glare into the windshield from the top bar of the chrome cattle/brush guard on several of my H2's.

Best elimination to date has been to put opaque window tint about 1 1/2 inch in width across the top bar overing 1/2 of the diameteter facing the windshield. This works great until rain and AZ sun seems to melt destroy said film...and I;m left with a gooey mess.

Was wondering if I could tape off the bar and spray the area facing the windshield with some kind of paint to make it more durable....maybe a white primer?

I'd prefer to leave the chrome guards on..as all 3 H2's are White....

Maybe having the area powder coated..but not sure if that is a viable solution either!

Thankx again to any and all replies....

Short of wearing one of my welding goggles..... help!

Best..

Scott

Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM

I would take a look at some black (or gray) self adhesive anti-slip tape. 3M makes it and you can buy it in most hardware stores or on-line. It comes in a roll or strips in different widths. You can cut any length you need. Run a strip the long way across the top of the guard. It should work pretty well and give you a clean look.

http://www.kofflersales.com/product.asp?cid=23&pid=36

Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Have it powder coated or paint it with bedliner in a can. I prefer black brushguards but thats just me.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Actually, I like HumminNBoatin's idea of bedliner in a can better than my 3M tape idea. It will likely stick better than the tape. Good idea.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM

The bedliner or any other flat black/white paint would work but I think you have to use a light sandpaper on the area of the chrome that you want to paint. I don't think it will stick very well to clean smooth chrome.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Why wouldn't just tint the bottom 4" or so of the front window to block the glare? Rather than ruining the brush guard.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Humher
Why wouldn't just tint the bottom 4" or so of the front window to block the glare? Rather than ruining the brush guard.
Because your cure is worse than the disease?

Old 09-11-2020, 01:10 PM

I'm having the same problem but my state's Vehicle and Traffic Law doesn't allow ANY tint at all on the windshield. It's surprising that GMC didn't think of this in the design phase when they chose chrome as one of the finishes for the brush guard.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:53 PM

most came in black finish

Old 09-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Got to a local sign shop. Have them cut you some strips of matte black vinyl about and inch and a half tall and apply that to the back edge of the bar facing the windshield. That is what comes on higher quality aftermarket ones for the GM trucks.... Hardly notice it on the back edge that faces inside and works perfect to kill the sun glare on it. I need to put some on the billet grab handles on my hood. Just last week one blinded the crap out of me. lol

Quick Reply: Help reducing Sun glare from front cattle/brush guard into drivers face