PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! I'm stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Question HELP! I'm stuck...

I just installed my new Gobi roof rack and put the spare tire up there, so I removed my rear tire carrier. That's all good and I just need to buy some bolts about a 1/4" shorter to re-install my D-ring tow hooks.

It's an '03, so I am just putting the tag back into the normal spot in the tailgate.

Here are my issues:

1) One of the license plate lights is burnt out. How in the hell do I replace it? I have replaced the bulbs in plenty of other cars, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to the bulb.

2) The entire housing is coming away from the tailgate in the upper passenger side corner. I have seen this on other H2's as well. Is this just a common issue? It looks like it was held in by some kind rubber glue/goo. Can I just use another adhesive to seal it back good, or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Scott,

You will need to purchase tow hooks from a H2 that did not have a tire carrier to finish off the tire relocation correctly. If you cannot find any tow hooks from an H1 will fit as well. I would look in the classified section or on ebay. A pair usually runs for about $100 used. Hell you could probably trade someone your used tire carrier set up for the hooks from a non tire carrier truck.

The pocket breaking is VERY common. My truck now has $116K miles on it and has been through 2 of them. You have to remove the interior door panel to get at it. I actually may have a lead on one you might be able to get for like $100. If you need a new/used one in good shape email me eric@thehummerclubinc.com I got a buddy who rebuilds h2 from fires who might have a pocket for you.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I went to the dealer and the bolts for stock a little shorter than what I have, so I ordered them and the hooks should still work fine. They fit flush against the bumper like they should, the current bolts are just about a 1/4" too long because the brackets for the tire carrier aren't behind the hooks anymore.

The pocket isn't too bad yet, just a little loose on the upper right corner. I'll shoot you PM when it gets worse and I need a replacement.

I ended up having to take the inside panel off the rear to replace the license plate light. That is a crazy *** design. I've never had to do anything like that to change a bulb for the tag before!

Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 AM

That is the exact same spot as where all the door pockets break. Just be easy on slamming the door.