Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

H2 Engine Rebuild Costs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Default H2 Engine Rebuild Costs?

Hey Guys: Last year, I took some advice and spent some money on repairs for my 05 H2 instead of replacing the vehicle. Now, my head gasket seals are leaking in a few places according to my mechanic (although I do have to keep adding coolant). He has suggested rebuilding the engine at a cost estimate of $5,500. The engine has 180k on it. Is that a reasonable quote (I'm in the Los Angeles area)? Or should I go a different path (crate motor maybe)? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:13 AM

You can buy new long blocks for about $3200. Don't know what the labor rate would be. For a few buck more you could build a nice little stroker engine.

Also don't over look a junk yard pull out. These LS based engines will run a long time, if you have a LQK salvage yard near you give them a call or look online.

Tim

Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 AM

Crate motor from GM, 100k warranty and be done with it.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the input! I will check and see if there is an LQK salvage near me. Although, the warranty on the GM crate sounds good. Thanks for the heads-up on that Sycraft! I'll take a look at it.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 AM

Find a powertrain dealer in your area, where do you live.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:30 PM

If head gaskets are leaking but engine runs fine why not just do the head gaskets. Labor should only run 10 hours according to pro demand labor guide and parts around 350 to 550. Engine replacement for long block would be over 20 hours plus the cost of engine and gaskets for components transferred.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:37 PM

sycraft, I'm in Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area of southern Ventura County.

Humtech, yes, I thought that too but my mechanic said it would be like giving a 90 year old an artery cleaning when he needs a new heart because I have 180k on the clock. I'm getting closer to it coming down to a rebuild vs a crate motor. Body and interior are in great shape, no other issues, just the seals.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 AM

I would opt for a crate motor from GM. You will have a nationwide warranty and a peace of mind knowing you bought a quality motor. Who knows what you get with a rebuilt engine. I am sure some shops put out a quality reman and some put out crap. I wouldn't want to gamble.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I would opt for a crate motor from GM. You will have a nationwide warranty and a peace of mind knowing you bought a quality motor. Who knows what you get with a rebuilt engine. I am sure some shops put out a quality reman and some put out crap. I wouldn't want to gamble.
+1 for this!

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM

I always thought if I was in your situation, I would look long and hard at the LSA option. It seems like it wouldn't be all that much of a stretch to get that motor/supercharger in the H2. And I can't imagine it being exceptionally more expensive than a LS3. The torque curve on the LSA would be ideal for the H2.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: H2 Engine Rebuild Costs?