PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to install the H1 wheels & tires..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Default Going to install the H1 wheels & tires..

My Deuce is currently at one of the top notch body shops in my area getting repainted (minus the hood and roof). But once she returns I going to install the
later 24 bolt H1 wheels and tires. I have read a couple post about it, beside the 2" spacers anything else I am missing?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM

I believe that's all you need. That was the route I was going to go but I'm concerned because I've read stories of shops not touching the military 2 piece wheels. Some I've heard can't even balance them because they are too heavy. Some said to hit a diesel shop to have them balanced.

They definitely look awesome though and are insanely cheap for a full set of 4.

Where do you plan on buying the set?

I also found a website that sells replacement O-rings, when I was going to buy them I figured those would be good to have on hand in case one started leaking.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I believe that's all you need. That was the route I was going to go but I'm concerned because I've read stories of shops not touching the military 2 piece wheels. Some I've heard can't even balance them because they are too heavy. Some said to hit a diesel shop to have them balanced.

They definitely look awesome though and are insanely cheap for a full set of 4.

Where do you plan on buying the set?

I also found a website that sells replacement O-rings, when I was going to buy them I figured those would be good to have on hand in case one started leaking.
Not a big deal if I can't take it to a pep boys for a mount balance job. LOL
Just thinking out loud.. in 20 years can't recall ever needing tires rebalanced etc. In my area their just maybe more "truck" tire shops then passenger car.

Plus if I go with the kevlars won't have to worry about flats?

Not sure yet where I am going to get them was looking at these. 37" Goodyear MT Hummer 37x12.50x16.5 tire with 12 bolt wheels

There are plenty of 90% or better tires on C-list for under $100 ea.

I would like to get the tires/rims mounted and ready to roll till i get my feet wet.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

I thought that some milling had to be done for the H2 wheel to fit on an H1 which would mean the wheel fit of the H1 wheel would be off. Could be wrong on this.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:13 PM

They just need spacers to fit.

If you plan on going with that company definitely go with the 24 bolt. Although if it were me I'd go with the 24 bolt offset rims which are even stronger. It's not so much the tire leaking as it is the O-ring of the 2 piece wheel which I've read can be a common issue if it is not seated correctly.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:02 AM

Have you checked Rallequip.com Used Military Tires and Equipment
I was 99% going to go H1s.
But talked myself out of if due to the spaces.
No affiliation, BTW.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Signal25
Have you checked Rallequip.com Used Military Tires and Equipment
I was 99% going to go H1s.
But talked myself out of if due to the spaces.
No affiliation, BTW.

You could always have the wheels recentered but you'll pay a good chunk of cash to have that done.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM

16.5's are a pain in the *** if your using them for offroading. without the ctis system on the H1 if you run them low and the bead falls off the rim you will not be able to reinflate your tires with your stock compressor. you will need a HI-Pressure system to be able to do that.

16.5" wheels do not have a "locking" bead like your 17" wheels do. the lock portion is just a hump on the hoop of your wheel on each side near the bead that keeps the tire located near the bead when it is flat.

Also "Kevlar" is a woven aramide fiber. It was initially developed by Michelin for use in their B.F.Goodrich tires. they have used woven aramide in their sidewalls since the mid 70's. Dupont realized it was "bulletproof" when woven into a vest and patented the term Kevlar. Goodyear pays Dupont a royalty to use the "Kevlar" in their sidewalls.

The tires are not bulletproof or any stronger than any b.f.goodrich mud terrain or all terrain that you can buy.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
You could always have the wheels recentered but you'll pay a good chunk of cash to have that done.
I agree.
But I think Ill just pay the $ and stick with 17"s.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Signal25
I agree.
But I think Ill just pay the $ and stick with 17"s.

Exactly, that's why I decided against them.

Quick Reply: Going to install the H1 wheels & tires..