PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gobi racks quality...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Default Gobi racks quality...

I picked up a Gobi rack today. I am not impressed with the quality oh rust prevention. There is rust bubbles everywhere? I thought they powder coated these? The rust is coming from the inside? I still bought it as it was cheap & I know that with a few hours work & some bed liner in a can I can make it look better then new. I have seen other gobi racks with this rust issue...what gives? Anyone have rust issues with thier rack?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM

subscribed steve

Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM

No issues with mine! I even have a few spots where the coating is peeling due to trees. I live in Buffalo NY and we have a lot of snow in the winter. Also add the road salt which destroys everything on a vehicle. Not a spot of rust on it. Unless they had a bad batch of PC and have since changed it?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Recovery21
No issues with mine! I even have a few spots where the coating is peeling due to trees. I live in Buffalo NY and we have a lot of snow in the winter. Also add the road salt which destroys everything on a vehicle. Not a spot of rust on it. Unless they had a bad batch of PC and have since changed it?
I bought this one near Buffalo NY...actually Cahoes NY. I'm guessing the owner didn't take good care of it? I almost passed on it cause of all the rust...I'm gonna have to take a grinding wheel to it in a few spots where it looks like the rust is under the powder coat? you get what you pay for I guess...definetly still worth $400! can't wait to restore it & mount it on my truck... Thank you for your input.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 PM

You got it! I wouldn't complain for $400! That is a great deal! I thought I got a deal on mine when I bought it. It was on a truck for about a month in southern California. He put his spare tire up there for 1 run. Then he had a custom one made and I got his for $600 shipped. Since then, I have scraped a lot of trees with it and it still looks great with no rust. Once you prep it and seal it, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Post up some pics when you are finished with it!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Cohoes is on the other side of the state near Albany.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Recovery21
You got it! I wouldn't complain for $400! That is a great deal! I thought I got a deal on mine when I bought it. It was on a truck for about a month in southern California. He put his spare tire up there for 1 run. Then he had a custom one made and I got his for $600 shipped. Since then, I have scraped a lot of trees with it and it still looks great with no rust. Once you prep it and seal it, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Post up some pics when you are finished with it!
I will defenetly post some pics. I'm in it for $500 now ($100 in gas for trip) and I figure about $50.00 in materials to shape it up....beats $1500 for a new one. I saw signs for Buffalo NY when I was in NY today & assumed it was near by.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM

I paid $500 for mine, but sold my rear tire mount for the same, I came out even.
When I got mine, there were definitely some rust spots and bubbling just like you're describing. I busted all the areas with bubbles and sanded the rust spots clean. After that I got some flat black spray paint and hit those areas with a few coats before I installed the rack.
I had thought about blasting the whole thing and having it powdercoated, but I didn't feel like removing all the lights and wiring that were already on it. If the touched areas hadn't blended so well, I would have probably gone through with the extra work, but it blended so good you had to right on top of it to even see the spots I fixed. I knew you'd never see it with it actually up on the truck. Anyway, that was almost a year ago now, and no new rust spots at all. Still looks great!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by TowDawg
I paid $500 for mine, but sold my rear tire mount for the same, I came out even.
When I got mine, there were definitely some rust spots and bubbling just like you're describing. I busted all the areas with bubbles and sanded the rust spots clean. After that I got some flat black spray paint and hit those areas with a few coats before I installed the rack.
I had thought about blasting the whole thing and having it powdercoated, but I didn't feel like removing all the lights and wiring that were already on it. If the touched areas hadn't blended so well, I would have probably gone through with the extra work, but it blended so good you had to right on top of it to even see the spots I fixed. I knew you'd never see it with it actually up on the truck. Anyway, that was almost a year ago now, and no new rust spots at all. Still looks great!
That's funny...I have my tire carrier sold for $400 & am getting the guy who I'm selling it to giving me his tow hooks as part of the deal. I plan on grinding away rust anywhere I see it & bedlinering the whole rack so it is uniform & has hopefully a more durable finish.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 PM

4 Michigan winters on mine, visible rust... you have to really look to see it though.

Quick Reply: Gobi racks quality...