PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an H2 this week - few questions about air suspension and the rear tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Default Buying an H2 this week - few questions about air suspension and the rear tire carrier

I've been out looking at H2's for the last few weeks and have narrowed the search to just a few. I've noticed some have coil springs in the rear and some have the air suspension. I want to add a leveling kit up front but, for a H2 with the air suspension, has anyone figured out how to raise the rear 1"-2"? I'd prefer to go coil springs with spacers but, the ones I'm leaning towards have the air suspension.

2 of the 3 I'm looking at have the spare tire mounted on the bumper. I personally like a clean look without the spare tire. I know the bracket mounts to the rear bumper. Is there an easy way to remove the tire and brackets or does the rear bumper then look all hacked up? Would I need to buy a new bumper or bumper cover to make it look as if I never had a carrier on their from the factory.

Sorry for the newbie questions but, dead set on a H2 for the weekend and wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in.

Thanks,
Todd

Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM

The air suspension is nice, BUT.. it is destined to fail. If I had a choice, I'd get the springs. Why wouldn't you be able to do a lift with the springs. Guys do it all the time with their pick-up trucks, and they don't have air suspension.

As far as the rear carrier is concerned.. that can easily be removed, and no, there won't be any signs it was there. The rear carrier mounts to the tow hook mounts. I am actually WANTING to find a rear external carrier for a reasonable dollar amount. You would be able to sell that easily I would imagine.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by chesh97
I am actually WANTING to find a rear external carrier for a reasonable dollar amount. You would be able to sell that easily I would imagine.
I took mine off my 07 before it got stolen. It's for sale.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM

If you take the tire carrier off, get some oem tow hooks to bolt onto the holes left by the tire carrier....it helps keep the bumper in place. As for the Air suspension, I love mine. The ride is great, you get more ground clearance if needed and they are cheap to replace if they do fail.....and you have the bonus of a compressor on board in case you need some air for tires etc....Good luck with your buy.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 PM

Has anyone figured out if there is a way to raise the rear to match the front if I add a 2.5" leveling kit? I was under the impression the norm is the leveling kit in the front + a 1.25" spacer in the rear(coil rear models).

I'm either headed to Ohio or Missisippi to pick one up on Saturday...

Thanks,
Todd

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM

You put a puck under the bags in the air suspension, some lift kits come with them specific for the bag models. This will give you the 1-1/2-2" of lift you're looking for.
As for bags or no bags--right now I'm sold on the bags, but I tow stuff. I love the self-leveling suspension when you put a trailer on the truck levels out and rides like a champ.
I've driven non-bagged 2's and was not as impressed with ride quality as I am with mine.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Air Suspension for sure! and I have a spare tire carrier with a painted cover to go with it for 300 bucks if anyone is interested. I can't tow my trailer with it on, it hits my electric tongue jack.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 PM

You can put spacers under the air bags, but you will probably have to modify the mounting area on the spacer to fit the air bag (if the spacers were made for coil springs). You can also reprogram the rear air sensor by changing the length of the sensor hardware. This will give you a bit of lift.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Default tire carrier

Originally Posted by Todd Edge
I've been out looking at H2's for the last few weeks and have narrowed the search to just a few. I've noticed some have coil springs in the rear and some have the air suspension. I want to add a leveling kit up front but, for a H2 with the air suspension, has anyone figured out how to raise the rear 1"-2"? I'd prefer to go coil springs with spacers but, the ones I'm leaning towards have the air suspension.

2 of the 3 I'm looking at have the spare tire mounted on the bumper. I personally like a clean look without the spare tire. I know the bracket mounts to the rear bumper. Is there an easy way to remove the tire and brackets or does the rear bumper then look all hacked up? Would I need to buy a new bumper or bumper cover to make it look as if I never had a carrier on their from the factory.

Sorry for the newbie questions but, dead set on a H2 for the weekend and wanted to make sure I know what I'm getting myself in.

Thanks,
Todd
Like you, I also favored the clean look. I switched from the external tire carrier in my '07 H2 and went back with the factory internal tire carrier. The older '04 & '05 models had them. I discovered that the drivers side cargo bed area (under the carpet) still has the mounting holes with the nuts still on them!! I slit out the carpet just enough to get the bolts through. You can find the internal tire carrier on eBay or sometimes here as well. I paid $150 for the carrier and all the mounting bolts. I got some chrome rear tow hooks (black is also available) for the bumper and it helped make the back look great yet still functional.
Most have the spare tire on the outside, but I wanted the opposite. I guess its just a matter of taste.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 AM

I flip flop on internal vs. external. My truck has an external spare right now, I think I'd like the clean look of the internal better, but the external is WAY more functional.

Lots more cargo space inside (which is one of the reasons I upgraded from the H3) and the carrier gives me a great place to mount things - antennas, hi-lift, etc.

Quick Reply: Buying an H2 this week - few questions about air suspension and the rear tire carrier