Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Back in the H2 community!!! Have a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 AM
Default Back in the H2 community!!! Have a couple questions...

After owning an 03 for about three years and then selling it I have always regretted the decision. Been looking on an off for the past couple of years for another and this past Monday out of the blue my wife sent me a link to a 2008 H2 and literally 3 hours later I was driving home in my second H2.

First of all it feels so good to be back in an H2. The feeling this rig provides while your sitting comfortably inside with a commanding view of the road and that feeling like nothing can touch you is hard to describe to the uninitiated. It's a loaded 2008 with Adventure and Lux packages. One owner vehicle sold in Canada with aftermarket 18 inch rims and huge Mickey Thompson tires. It also has an undercoating treatment that was probably offered by the selling dealership.

I'm rusty on my H2 knowledge not having kept up with the brand after I sold my 03 in 2007. The 08 is similar yet different in so many ways. With 95K it's not brand new but I would say it's 80% there. Interior and exterior are actually extremely clean and do not look their age. From what I can tell every feature works as well. What it needs is a little mechanical work. Brakes are original and done. I get a little shudder from about 10 mph to zero. Easy fix. New OEM rotors and pads and fluid. I'm also going to replace the wires and plugs. The engine runs silky smooth under acceleration and load but at idle its a little bit rough. Another easy fix.

One thing I'm not sure about is a vibration coming from the drivetrain under acceleration up to about 20-30 mph. I don't think it's anything major. maybe engine mounts? Is anyone aware of something like this with higher mile H2's. I did purchase a premium aftermarket warranty that covers most everything from what I read. I plan to take the H2 to a former H2 dealer and have them run through the entire rig and repair anything they find broken.

I've also done some online searching for parts and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of websites that have good prices on parts. I typically use Rockauto but I'm trying to find a couple not so common parts and haven't had any luck. Namely wheel well liners and a 2008 owners manual.

I'm in the Seattle area and look forward to running into other H2 locals in the future.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:20 AM

I've seen wheel well liners on eBay. That's your best bet these days for hummer parts. That little shudder bet 1500-2000 RPM's seems like a common occupancy with the H2's. Some guys say it's the skid plate or the under carriage protector but when I removed both of them the problem was still there. I've read it could be coming from transmission. Here is link. You have a diff trans in your 08 but could be same issue. It's listed toward bottom I think. 30 Common 4L60E Transmission Problems & Repair | Charlotte NC

Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 AM

smoothed out my idle by cleaning tb and maf, also ran a bottle of techron concentrated plus through it, runs better than ever now..mines an 03

Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mcioci
I've seen wheel well liners on eBay. That's your best bet these days for hummer parts. That little shudder bet 1500-2000 RPM's seems like a common occupancy with the H2's. Some guys say it's the skid plate or the under carriage protector but when I removed both of them the problem was still there. I've read it could be coming from transmission. Here is link. You have a diff trans in your 08 but could be same issue. It's listed toward bottom I think. 30 Common 4L60E Transmission Problems & Repair | Charlotte NC
I was afraid you would suggest Ebay for parts. I might try and call around to some local wrecking yards and maybe get lucky there.

Thanks for the link on the vibration. I've driven a few other H2's and I have noticed the same vibe before. Just more pronounced. I'll do some more root cause analysis in the next few days to try and better pin point the problem. If it is transmission related and is common with the 4 speed auto that would be the first I've heard of it. I can't help but think it might be related to a mount somewhere.

Originally Posted by yoymon
smoothed out my idle by cleaning tb and maf, also ran a bottle of techron concentrated plus through it, runs better than ever now..mines an 03
Yup planned to clean the MAF while I do plugs and wires. For the TB did you just shoot carb cleaner on it?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:38 PM

no i kind of have an odd method, i take a white sock put it on hand like a glove and soak my sock covered hand with tb cleaner then i wipe the bore, blade etc, hold throttle blade open with other hand, find a clean spot on sock repeat etc etc, my fingers reach all the way in the bore and i can feel what im doing, can get it very clean without taking it off that way, i dont like to spray it in, paranoid about fouling plugs i changed last year

Old 09-07-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by yoymon
no i kind of have an odd method, i take a white sock put it on hand like a glove and soak my sock covered hand with tb cleaner then i wipe the bore, blade etc, hold throttle blade open with other hand, find a clean spot on sock repeat etc etc, my fingers reach all the way in the bore and i can feel what im doing, can get it very clean without taking it off that way, i dont like to spray it in, paranoid about fouling plugs i changed last year
Thanks for the feedback. I cleaned the MAF this weekend and already noticed the engine is a little smoother at idle. Looking forward to all the parts arriving so I can start addressing things underneath.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:19 PM

You should be able to get the 08' manual on ebay also. Sounds like you don't have a very good opinion of ebay though. If not try amazon.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by mattdillon
You should be able to get the 08' manual on ebay also. Sounds like you don't have a very good opinion of ebay though. If not try amazon.
Thanks. I've had varying degrees of success with Ebay. Oddly enough I bought my 03 H2 off of Ebay.

I managed to find a PDF of the 08 manual. Went through it found everything is pretty straight forward. Only part that really concerned me is the 4 wheel drive operation. I'm going to print this section out, laminate it and keep it in the glove box.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:19 AM

The original Hummer site from GM is still active.
Go here: Vehicle Owner?s Manuals | HUMMER