PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Make Over

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Default 2003 Make Over

If was the first guy on block with H2 - Mine is yellow all the options including Whipple blower since new. Has over 100,000 hard losts of off highway miles.

Does anybody know if:
Can you put a new 6-speed trans in?
Put a part time 4x4 t-Case?
How about an aluminum 6.2 crate motor?
Spring over shocks for front instead of T-Bars?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

I'm no H2 expert by any stretch of the mind, but I'll try helping.

I would *think* the new 6spd auto would fit; both motors are typical GM v8's. But keep in mind, that 6spd auto is probably a 6,000$ transmission.

A part time transfer case, no. Well, you could.. but your abs/traction control/stability c ontrol would be going crazy because it would constantly read the front axle as not functioning and they would constantly be trying to fix that. Plus you would need all new switches, front hubs, etc. A HUGE cost-inhibiting project.

An aluminum crate motor? Sure why not. I'm not POSITIVE it would bolt-in, but I would certainly think it would. Again, its a typical GM V8. It SHOULD work. But that motor probably costs about 3-4g alone.

Spring over shocks? I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to hold the heft of the 10k lb HUMMER. I'd stick with the heavy duty torsion bars.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305
I'm no H2 expert by any stretch of the mind, but I'll try helping.

I would *think* the new 6spd auto would fit; both motors are typical GM v8's. But keep in mind, that 6spd auto is probably a 6,000$ transmission.

A part time transfer case, no. Well, you could.. but your abs/traction control/stability c ontrol would be going crazy because it would constantly read the front axle as not functioning and they would constantly be trying to fix that. Plus you would need all new switches, front hubs, etc. A HUGE cost-inhibiting project.

An aluminum crate motor? Sure why not. I'm not POSITIVE it would bolt-in, but I would certainly think it would. Again, its a typical GM V8. It SHOULD work. But that motor probably costs about 3-4g alone.

Spring over shocks? I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to hold the heft of the 10k lb HUMMER. I'd stick with the heavy duty torsion bars.

Well you are right about one thing you are no H2 expert. lol

There is no direct bolt in Tcase that will allow you to run part time 4x4 only. You are stuck with the factory one unless you get a ton of custom work done or do something like a duramax swap. It has nothing to do with the abs and tc systems at all. (ABS and TC are one in the same system on the H2. All it does is measure the difference in speed between the wheels and makes adjustments if one wheel starts accelerating well beyond another.)

The 6 speed will not just bolt in. It will require a custom cross member to me fabricated as the 6 speed transmission is actually based off the 4l80E (bigger and more heavy duty than your factory trans). The H2 factory trans is a 4L65e. Not to mention the custom programming that would have to be done to the ECM and you will need custom driveshafts.

Basically it sounds like you want to do a full on driveline change out. I would recommend a duramax swap. its big $$$$ but you will smoke ANY and ALL gas powered h2's on the road. There are very few people who actually do these swaps. I do know that Predator is very well known for these conversions. With a Dmax swap you will get everything you are asking for, more power-heavier trans, part time 4x4 etc....

There is no front coil spring option or swap for the H2. The H2 weighs 6400lbs empty. its gcvw is 8500lbs. Its not that its too heavy. Hell the h1 has a dry curb weight of 8500 it uses coil springs. hope this helps a lil.

ps. if you are intersted in getting rid of that SC on the cheap let me know...

Old 07-24-2010, 05:12 AM

you had me till the last line
"ps. if you are interested in getting rid of that SC on the cheap let me know..."

What is an "SC"

And tell me about your on board AC power, I presume you have a big inverter hidden somewhere and put an outlet in the truck?

Thanks
Ed

Old 07-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin
Well you are right about one thing you are no H2 expert. lol

There is no direct bolt in Tcase that will allow you to run part time 4x4 only. You are stuck with the factory one unless you get a ton of custom work done or do something like a duramax swap. It has nothing to do with the abs and tc systems at all. (ABS and TC are one in the same system on the H2. All it does is measure the difference in speed between the wheels and makes adjustments if one wheel starts accelerating well beyond another.)

The 6 speed will not just bolt in. It will require a custom cross member to me fabricated as the 6 speed transmission is actually based off the 4l80E (bigger and more heavy duty than your factory trans). The H2 factory trans is a 4L65e. Not to mention the custom programming that would have to be done to the ECM and you will need custom driveshafts.

Basically it sounds like you want to do a full on driveline change out. I would recommend a duramax swap. its big $$$$ but you will smoke ANY and ALL gas powered h2's on the road. There are very few people who actually do these swaps. I do know that Predator is very well known for these conversions. With a Dmax swap you will get everything you are asking for, more power-heavier trans, part time 4x4 etc....

There is no front coil spring option or swap for the H2. The H2 weighs 6400lbs empty. its gcvw is 8500lbs. Its not that its too heavy. Hell the h1 has a dry curb weight of 8500 it uses coil springs. hope this helps a lil.

ps. if you are intersted in getting rid of that SC on the cheap let me know...
If the abs/trac cont detect front axle slippage, which it would without redoing all the electronics, it would drive the abs/tc nuts. Bank on that.

As far as doing a dmax swap, I've heard they are about $15k out the door. Hell I'll buy a used dmax for that much and just drive it. I've said since the beginning that these trucks should have ONLY been offered in a diesel. A tiny inline 4 diesel would have been sufficient. But the means to convert to a diesel would be ridiculous.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 AM

I had a 1500Watt inverter hidden under my tool box untill recently. It died so I am on the hunt for a new one...

85-305....The TC/ABS system only measures and compairs individual wheel SPEED at the tires not power/torque. It then calculates the difference in speed and applies brakes as needed to the tire that is spinning beyond the parameters that the system allows.

When you are driving all 4 of your tires are rolling. I have personally broken 1/2 shafts and driven over 100 miles home. Had to lock it in 4 hi...

I know guys who have bent front drive shafts when offroad.... We just pull the drive shaft out, lock it in 4 hi and drive home (note: the older h2's have plastic shift forks that can melt on long periods of highway driving at speeds over 55mph. In later models the plastic forks were replaced with aluminum ones and this problem was solved).

Man you gotta lot to learn about Hummer tc/abs but I am willing to teach.... lol You really cannot understand how these trucks (or any vehicle) works untill you personally turn wrenches on one in the field.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Banned

Well I appreciate the info.

But if you break a halfshaft up front, why do you need to lock it into 4hi to make it home??

Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 85_305
Well I appreciate the info.

But if you break a halfshaft up front, why do you need to lock it into 4hi to make it home??
This is going to be a long winded response. But the short answer is Power allways takes the path of least resistance.

Now for the full answer

The reason your "pumpkin" front and rear are called differentials is because they differenciate power/torqe.

See animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLE0...eature=related

Now the HUMMER transfer cases have a differencial as well is set up just like this when in 4Hi Unlock to differenciate power front to rear. However..... It is set up to send 40% of the power to the front and 60% to the rear. If you break a front half shaft all of the power that the vehicle produces will naturaly want to go to that broken axle as it has the least resistance. This will make the truck drive very badly as you will be losing 40% of the power the vehicle puts to the ground.

If you LOCK the transfer case in 4hi or 4low the you now have 2 wheel drive while having a broken 1/2 shaft up front.

This is an animation of the rear axle in the H2 and how its locking diff works. Keep in mind the locking diff in the transfer case has the same effect to transfer power front to rear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VPPGsYq6TE

Now HUMMER traction control as you can see really has nothing to do with actual mechanical drive train. The way TC/ABS works on a HUMMER is that it measures the speed of each individual wheel. If one wheel starts spinning faster than the others by a certain amount the vehicle applies the brakes to that one individual wheel to essentially 1. slow it down...but at the same time 2. cause resistance on that spinning wheel thus transfering power to the other wheel.

I hope this helps you understand a lil more about TC/ABS and drivetrain the HUMMER lineup uses.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

The thing that confuses me is since these are awd trucks.. if you break say, a front half shaft, that whole front axle is out of comission. With that being said, automatically (at least in my mind) all the power will now be going to the rear wheels, since like you said they are 40/60 split t-cases. So to me, locking the truck in 4hi would put equal power to the front/rear diffs.. which wouldn't have any more benefit than just keeping it in 4ul?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Comming from a guy who has broken 1/2 shafts on the trail.......trust me

Quick Reply: 2003 Make Over