PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 H2 volt meter gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM
Default 2003 H2 volt meter gauge not working

I noticed the volt meter gauge is not working in my newly purchased H2 and had the system checked on Saturday and it tested fine. However my gauge is not moving, it stays pegged down on the botton left of the gauge. Any ideas as to what may cause this? Do I need to order a new cluster to fix it or is there something else possibly causing it?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Possible bad ground. But more likely to be the cluster. Gm gauges from this time period are notorious for issues.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 PM

May just be that one stepper motor. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can easily replace the stepper motor on your own. Buy a kit from Ebay and go to town!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:05 PM

The dealer has ordered a new cluster and will install it for free, reason being they put in print that all gauges and all electrical items in the H2 were functional.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
May just be that one stepper motor. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can easily replace the stepper motor on your own. Buy a kit from Ebay and go to town!
LoJac is right. I followed his LED thread and replaced all my LED's in an hours time for a first timer.

The stepper motor should take you 1 hour start to finish, with the actual soldering process taking 5 minutes or less.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:27 PM

LoJac963, thanks for the heads up on the stepper motor kit. I am thinking about ordering a kit and not letting the small time dealer I bought my H2 from touch it.

It looks like I also have an oil pressure sending unit failure. When I start the H2 the gauge goes from 0 to 80 and when I shut it off it goes back to 0. Doing research today said there is a know problem with the sending unit, not the stepper motor, dang two different issues. I just bought a new Duramax oil pressure sending unit and I plan toreplace it Saturday morning.

I am trying to go through the H2 and fix everything I can find. I also just ordered a new air filter and floor mats. I will also be testing the coolant on Saturday to make sure it is ok. It looks fine from a visual stand point but I want to confirm. It would have been nice to check maintenance records to see what was recently serviced but those were not available. If all goes well I will bring it in for a transmission power purge by MAACO next week.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:13 PM

Well I decided to take a few minutes and do the checks and I am extremely happy with what I just found. The air filter looks like new, the coolant tested fine (good to 20 below and it tested at .2 with a multi-meter when warm) it must also have been replaced recently. The transmission fluid is clean, looks like the transmission was just serviced recently as well.

I guess the last owner did the 90K maintenance on this H2. All I need to do is replace the oil pressure sending unit and the stepper motors and LEDs in the cluster and I am set to really enjoy this H2.

Looks like I will have an extra air filter in a few days, but that is a problem I like.

That's what I am talking about!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:24 PM

i did my stepper motors about a month ago, yes the 27's are the upgraded ones. those 25's are crap