PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2 is at the shop - Your input

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Default The 2 is at the shop - Your input

So I dropped the Hummer at the shop the other day and of course they come back with a laundry list of things it needs.
The big things for right now is the front suspension.
According to them it needs
New Hubs, New Pitman and Idler arms
They are saying thats about 1800 worth of parts.

I am wondering if there is anyone out there that has a recommendation to aftermarket better parts and also any ideas of what else you would do when doing these components

Also,
how are is it for someone to do this by themselves?
This is my first truck to work on so I am curious.
I have the gm service manuals - but they arent the best in a step by step.
I can definitely turn a wrench and I am experienced with doing alot of modifying with cars.
Thanks

Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 PM

$1800 HOLY crap ... I replaced the Hub for $140 (
Amazon.com: Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive
)

Moog Idler arm @ $53 (
Amazon.com: Moog K6723 Steering Idler Arm Bracket: Automotive Amazon.com: Moog K6723 Steering Idler Arm Bracket: Automotive
)

Pitman arm cost about $60 .. There are different part for this . make sure which one is right

I replaced the idler/pitman arms a few days ago while installing the new tires , the cost include labor was $300 and I thought it was expensive .. I would DYI for $150

$1800 for those parts , unless someother parts or service is involved I would run as fast and far as I can

BTW replacing all those parts by yourself would take 3-5 hours with regular tools .. Youtube hummer Hub :

RUN FORREST RUN

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-27-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks
Miami
I reread the estimate and it did also include plugs and wires, and carbon cleaning of the engine, and alignment

Still I cant see that adding up to that much extra
LMAO with the Run Forest Run comment

Old 10-28-2014, 07:40 AM

Shops assume people how by Hummers are rich and stupid enough to trow money away .. happens to me before
I asked for brakes work on a Gm2500 when I show with the hummer price was almost double
I almost kick the guy ugly face
ending doing the job myself in 1 hour
Then another shop ask $400 labor to replace the shocks
8 nuts and 30 min job. Again did myself .
I got to flush the tranny soon. Let's see wat is the deal
good luck

Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 PM

Yeah that is true.
I know that when I didnt have a place to work on my Vette they raked me over the coals
And one time I actually had a mechanic tell me the real reason a quote was so high was because its a hummer man they are expensive
I kinda expect it in a way if say it was a high dollar lambo, but not a Hummer that as you said shared parts with many GM products

Old 10-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
yeah that is true.
I know that when i didnt have a place to work on my vette they raked me over the coals
and one time i actually had a mechanic tell me the real reason a quote was so high was because its a hummer man they are expensive
i kinda expect it in a way if say it was a high dollar lambo, but not a hummer that as you said shared parts with many gm products
remember hummer like nothing else ... Lambo still had some copies

Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Yeah I picked up the rig yesterday from the stealership....
Heres the break down (what a crock)

Plugs and wires (2.5 hours) - $425 <what the hell I just went and bought plugs for 40 bucks and I am sure wires arent going to cost more than 100-150... and then how the hell do they get 2.5 hours of work swapping out plugs and wires>

Air Filter $120

Right and left hub assemblies (2.6 hours x2) - $1253 <so wait, according to my main man miami {try saying that ten times fast} each hub is 140, so thats 280... so a 1000 bucks to install? dont think so. But wait... look again 2.5 hours to install plugs and wires, should take about 30 minutes, but they are saying it takes the same time to replace a hub as it takes to swap out plugs and wires. UGH!>

idler arm $293

Pitman $300

I mean what the hell
Do they not realize that most people, even if they didnt know how to do stuff, would look on the internet to see if this is even close to right?

Hell for these prices, even if it was my only car, I could rent a car, buy the parts, watch all the youtube videos, and do it myself

Based on what Miami said, this easily 2400 dollar job should only cost me about 400-450 plus some time with it jacked up in my drive way.

Idiots.

Whats really sad is that the bays of the repair shop were full

Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 AM

While those prices are sky high you need to know that the GM dealer will sell GM hubs which are far superior to most Chinese/ebay hubs and cost quite a bit more. They also have to warranty repairs for 12 months or 12,000 miles, overhead and so on. As always if you can tackle the repairs yourself, buy quality parts, and have the time. That is the best route to go.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 AM

@calif ... Sorry but you are wrong ... Timken (
Amazon.com: Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Timken SP580310 Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly: Automotive
) is much better than the OEM HUb .. how a OEM hub is suppose to fail @ 70k , no offroad and still be a good product ..

OEM Air filter @$50 :

Amazon.com: ACDelco A3100C Professional Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco A3100C Professional Air Filter: Automotive

Check this :
I did all that myself plus replaced the shocks , steering damper and the new goodyear tires

All for less than $2400

That dealer is LOCO

BTw if you going with an aftermarket filter read my post/review about airaid first

Last edited by H2Miami; 10-30-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 AM

Timken is an excellent bearing, so are AC Delco so are the OEM bearings. But I still say there are a lot of cheap bearing on the internet and at discount part stores. Buy quality parts to get the most for your money.

Quick Reply: The 2 is at the shop - Your input