PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Mount Question/Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Default Rear Shock Mount Question/Help

Hey guys,
My 1997 H1 recently developed a rear wheel bearing output seal leak. Its a non CTIS truck. I decided since I was in there anyway ( famous last words) that I would replace the shocks as well. They look "original" to the vehicle so I figured it was time. Anyway, after soaking the lower shock bracket bolts with break free for a few days, attempted to remove them today. I used a 1/2 breaker bar with a piece of pipe. The first bolt moved fairly easily and is now free. The second bolt appeared to be moving easily but........ it sheared off.
Not good! My question is, once I get more of the spindle assembly out while changing the seals, is there access to the shaft of the bolt. Where I could possibly remove it with vise grips or something. Or will this need to be drilled and retapped?
If it does need to be drilled, what type of drill bit do you recommend? Cobalt? Carbide?
Thank you in advance
J

Old 11-16-2016, 07:00 PM

I would try welding a nut - smaller than the bolt diameter on the broken bolt so you can put a socket on it and use a good impact. if the nut brakes off weld another one back on and try again. You dont want to drill it and use a EZ out because if you break the ez out off your screwed.(ez outs m are made of hardened carbon Molly steel and you will not drill it out even with the diamond drill bit) Also you might try some country music, hummers seem to like that.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanks Ian!
Maybe country music is what it needs. I will try that as well

Old 11-29-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDoc
The second bolt appeared to be moving easily but........ it sheared off.

When this happens we give up and replace the whole control arm. We have tied heat, cutting, other heat, everything you can think of to extract the bolt, etc. We replace the control arm and lower shock mount......easy as can be.