PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto tires on the H1

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Default Nitto tires on the H1

Recently picked up a H1 that needs tires. It has a set of Goodyears now that seem to have worn unevenly. Those new Nitto Trail grapplers look nice. Anyone here try them yet? Curious on noise and wear. Thanks!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know anyone running them on an H1.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks 3Hummers, what's the popular tire most folks run? I'm looking for the least noisy aggressive tread. That's what the Trail Grappler appears to have. Maybe I'll just go with the Goodyears but I'm skeptical on wear after seeing the ones I'm replacing after just buying the truck.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:41 PM

How are they wearing unevenly? Is it an alignment issue?

Often times, the rears will wear unevenly on the outsides. This is due to the suspension pulling the tires slightly inward because it was designed to have a heavier load in the rear. When a load is applied, it straightens out the camber. (factory setting is +0.25 to +0.75 degrees positive camber)

You may want to solve the abnormal wearing issue before you purchase a new set of tires and have them wear out just as fast or in the same way. But, the H1 isn't very nice on tires from what I see, although mine have worn pretty evenly. They definitely wear faster than most vehicles I've owned. Full time 4wd doesn't help much with tread life either.

Last edited by wiretap; 02-25-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM

What Goodyears are on there right now?
I'm running the newer style Wrangler MT/R Kevlar, 40x13.5, and they're fairly quiet on the road with good wear.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Most common tires I see on H1s are BFG KM2, Goodyear Kevlar MTR and Toyo Open Country. I like them all. The key is to keep the tire pressure good and rotate them. H1s seem to cup tires quickly, maybe because the CTIS system always leaks a little, not sure, but I have to watch the tires on my H1s closer than any vehicle I have had.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone - I will be sure to rotate frequently and stay on top of air pressure (keep it about 40 PSI on the gauge). The previous owner said the wear probably occurred since he ran them under-inflated a number of times. The Goodyears I have are the older generation ones (not the asymmetrical ones offered today). I do like the look of the Toyos, and the Cooper STT's look pretty good for the money as well. There's also a fair amount of shake at speed (up and down motion) due to the tires not being balanced from the wear. I might pick up a set of shocks since mine have probably taken a pounding from the old tires...

Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Another good investment to reduce the bouncing at higher speeds are Centramatic balancers. They will auto balance the tires after a few seconds as you drive. I have them on my H1 and it makes a hugeee difference on the highway. It almost drives as smooth as my car. The tire pressure can vary and it will still keep them balanced. Running 37"+ tires can throw things out of balance easily depending on how squished the tire is at different speeds and pressures. The Centramatic balancers take into account what a normal tire balancing cannot and will give you a smooth ride all the time.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on the centramatic balancers. I heard from someone that some folks love them and some folks hate them so I did not give them much thought. Does the ride feel off-balance initially before they balance? Any cons to them? I like the idea of the auto-balancing they provide...

Old 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM

I decided to go with Toyo Open Country RT (37x12.5x17). The RT is relatively newer from what I was told and is in between an AT & MT. Quieter on the highway but similar performance characteristics of the MT...

Quick Reply: Nitto tires on the H1