PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

humvee fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Default humvee fuel mileage

Anybody out there drive a military Humvee as a daily driver?
Does it get the same fuel mileage as a Hummer H1 (11 city) or worse?
I was thinking about getting a surplus sand colored canvas door Humvee soft top for my son to drive to high school (about 10 miles each way). Jeeps are cool, but I think a Humvee is a little cooler and different from what everybody else has.
And they are cheap. They can be had for 1/3 the price of a 90's uncustomized/upgraded H1.

I figure nothing valuable should be left in the Humvee when not occupied, since it doesn't lock. And since it doesn't have a keyed ignition, I might need to hide a kill switch under the dash so that no one goes for a joy ride. I should call my insurance salesman to find out what it would cost to insure for a teenager too.

I realize I will have to jump over some hoops to get it titled.

Am I nuts?

Old 01-28-2017, 03:34 PM

PM sent.
No you are not nuts. Your son would be the coolest kid ever driving one of these beasts!

Old 02-02-2017, 01:50 PM

cool, yes! but do you trust your kid? Even as an adult when I got one I started driving over everything I could and nearly wrecked it the first month.

Plus a Humvee is 24 volts. Also, you have to remember to turn the lights on or you won't have brake lights. Plus, there is no parking brake.

Cheap? I don't know if I'd go that far. It's not like you can go to Napa and pick up a lot of these parts. Plus you'll need to keep spares. But, if they want to learn to do their own maintenance, it's a great learning vehicle. You'll have to do three times the maintenance on them than a regular vehicle.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:52 PM

Sorry, there is a parking brake, just no "park" for the gearbox. You have to leave it in neutral and set the parking brake.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM

There's a PN/NSN for an ignition circuit. It just replaces the tab/switch starter with a normal key.

g503 is a good website to look up information specific to humvees.

Mileage you will be averaging 12-13 mpg combined depending how heavy you are with the skinny peddle.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM

Hi, Mil-Spec Automotive specializes in rebuilding humvees and H1's and we have a surplus of humvees that we are looking to sell right now. One of the ones we are selling is a tan 4 door in the same style as the photo if you are still looking for one. Also, getting an on-road use title can be difficult depending on what state you are in as well. Some are much more lenient than others