PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Misconceptions of tire wear and Torsion bar adjustment

Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default Misconceptions of tire wear and Torsion bar adjustment

So far, I have driven my H3 a little over a year with the torsion bars adjusted to level my H3. There has been no obvious uneven wear on my front tires. Mike has looked at them, as well as some other people, and they can't see anything more then the normal wear. I'm sure if you drive 50k miles with it adjusted with no alignment, it will show, but so far the 10 to 20k miles I have driven with them adjusted have not really shown anything out of the ordinary. I just thought I'd share. After GM releases that front steering driveshaft replacement part, I'll get my first alignment, but until then, everything is ok.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Misconceptions of tire wear and Torsion bar adjustment

When you made the adjustment, did you count the number of turns to the torsion bolt? I was goin to give mine 1.5 turns to bring up the front a bit, but not entirely level. When you load these things down, like with 880 lbs. of canadian flag stone from the landscape supply, I do not want the nose up in the air.

By the way, that load of stone made my adventure stand pat level looking....of course I eased the 5 miles home all on pavement........it's a truck!!

Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

When I first did it, yes, I counted. I did something like 2.5 turns per bar. The last time I did it, no, I didn't count. I started to, but since the left side was lower then the right (it was obvious over time) I did whatever I needed to get it level. What I did was put it in my garage with a full tank of gas, and measured height using points on the chasis. The right and left sides are exactly the same clearance off the ground, which is .5 to 1.00" lower in the front then the rear. Over time, I think the bars and leaf springs wore in a little, so it started to list to one side a bit. It's a common problem with the H3's. It took me about 4 days of adjusting and driving for it to finally get level. I used a point on the chasis right near the wheel wells in the front and back on both sides. To make a long story short, the H3 is now level from front to rear, and side to side. People on here have used their H3 to tow and haul and said the front end never went up higher then the rear, and these are people who made the adjustments as well. That's why I left about an inch lower in the front then the rear, so there would be some leeway when towing or hauling. It looks awsome. I don't have any good pics of the new levelling yet, but I will in a few weeks once I take new pictures of it for my gallery.I'm going to take it to the lakefront downtownin the early morning after I wax it to get somegood pictures for once. It's going to look different then what the pics I have now. I'm putting the pin-striping on tonight.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the input. I will try my 1.5 turns and do some measurement points b4 and after, and see where it ends up. Hey, that could be a pun?I will post some pics this weekend. What is the size limit for a pic to post here?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Doc: Let me take some pics tonight of how and where I measured. Then you can get an idea as to how I did it. It will be dark by the time I get home so I'll take some pics of the H3 in my driveway tomorrow just to show you how level I got it. I think I did a good job considering what I was working with, but it would take time for the new adjustments to settle, hence the 4 days of playing around with it.

I forgot the size limit, but I would suggest you create a Photobucket account (www.photobucket.com). It's a good place to store your photos online, and you can link to them right in the post, as most of us do here.