PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Tie Rod Upgrades.....

Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Default Tie Rod Upgrades.....

Hey all, I have an 04 H2 and I am looking to get some stronger tie rods to put on it as I have been warned that stock can snap with light offroad use and have seen videos of it happening on Youtube and such, not to mention a friend suggested getting it done if I plan on doing any offroading which I have, and I do plan to do more and hit better spots in the future.

I have done a search for tie rod upgrades on here and did not find anything, not sure if I looked in the wrong spot or what. Anyway, anyone know of any good companies to check out for upgrades on this? I have seen one listed by Cognito but know nothing about them. I just don't want to get out in the middle of nowhere and snap one. Thanks in advance.
Paul

Old 12-21-2010, 10:20 PM

I wish I had an answer. If you figure this out, find an upgrade and or install them, can you post up or shoot me a PM. I have oversized "24 rims and it is a bit of an issue. ALSO, have you dealt with upgraded sway bars/stabilizers? I ended up replacing my steering stabilizer with a new Rancho. I felt a big difference. Unsure if it was due to age or what.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:01 AM

I actually removed my rear swaybar for added flex of the rear axle so I won't be much help to you there. The added weight of the wheels could very well have been the entire reason the new steering stabilizer helped you out. Wheels usually add a lot of weight, more than just tires. You might also want to take a look at brakes as well and see if there are any upgrades. The momentum of the bigger wheel is harder to stop and in my opinion worth looking at. A lot of people forget about that aspect.

But, if I find what I am looking for as far as the tie rod upgrade I will let you know what I went with and things like that.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 AM

Thanks a bunch for the advice. Brakes, well... If I were to spend the money, the only way to go is all the way I'm thinking and that Brembo set is
E X P E N S I V E!!!! NOW, I ordered a set of slotted rotors years back on an Explorer and had issues... Heard they crack easily. Depending on the company.
Replacing/upgrading the lines??? I saw a set recently and do it on my crotch rockets due to flex... Any feedback on this?
ALSO, the crank pulley.... Can't remember the part number... Ordering/finding a smaller diameter wheel & replacing the belt to match up.... Do you see any problems with this? Older Euro's and mustangs do it quite often. Less strain on the engine with the same amount of output right???

Old 01-01-2011, 08:02 PM

on the lines you should not need to worry about replacement unless you lift it for the added travel. For the brakes just go with a reputable company and you can get them just slotted or just drilled or both, the manufacturer should be able to tell you the best for your type of driving. As for the bike I will not be of much use, I never worked on the ones I owned.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM

did you happen to try summit racing or any of the auto stores for the hell of it

Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 AM

I have looked at some of the no name stores and places like that but I want to make sure what I am getting is going to hold up not just buy something and hope it does what it says it is supposed to do. I am looking more and more at the Cognito ones but I am still not sure yet