PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering vs Leveling

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Default Lowering vs Leveling

I'd like to actually lower my H3 a couple of inches. I've seen the threads on leveling the H3, mainly because the rear sets to high.

This is what they are selling as a lowering kit. It's for the rear only. Are you supposed to lower the front by ajusting the torsion bars? I'd only lower the front 1". Then an alighnment is needed, right?

[/b]2006 - 2006 Hummer H3[/align]

Part: Lowering Kit

Brand: Ground Force

Description: GROUND FORCE SUSPENSION LOWERING KIT, REAR -- 2" Drop, Including, Rear Coils, Shocks, Precision Engineered Coil Springs Are Designed To Work With Or Without Spindles To Provide Drop, Coils Are Hot Wound For Precise Fit, Quenched, Shot Peened And Powder Coated For Sleek Looks And Corrosion Resistance

Price: $146.53

Quantity:

[/align][/align]

Old 07-30-2007, 08:57 AM
Default RE: Lowering vs Leveling

That Kit Bob..is it for the H3?..because we have the leaf springs in the back...the only thing I could see to do is use a shorter shackle on the front and rear end of the springs or remove leafs...

And yes, with any suspension change..and alignment should be done..I believe it is always a four wheel alignment on most cars these days anyways...(not sure if they do the rear on an H3) but my service receipt said 4 wheel alignment performed..

The problem I see with lift kits, is that unless it includes special parts to lower your axel too, you could eventually put a strain on the front CV joints being over extended.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

That Kit Bob..is it for the H3?..because we have the leaf springs in the back...the only thing I could see to do is use a shorter shackle on the front and rear end of the springs or remove leafs...

And yes, with any suspension change..and alignment should be done..I believe it is always a four wheel alignment on most cars these days anyways...(not sure if they do the rear on an H3) but my service receipt said 4 wheel alignment performed..

The problem I see with lift kits, is that unless it includes special parts to lower your axel too, you could eventually put a strain on the front CV joints being over extended.
You're right, the rear are leaf springs. "Ground Force" is a popular suspension company. I guess I need to look into this farther.

I realize you moved this as it should be Dennis. I hope it gets the visibility in this forum.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:29 AM

It seems some parts are missing from my first post. I later found this Ground Force kit. Any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Groun...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's another Ground Force Kit with four shocks. Man I'm totally confused now!

http://www.customstreetdesigns.com/5553-9974.htm

Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM

I have the Ground Force Kit!!! Works GREAT!!! 2 years now and NO PROBS!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM

I hope the pictures in those links are just stock pictures, because the H3 has LEAF SPRINGS not COIL SPRINGS. Also, since the leaf srings go under the rear axle, all you need is a lift/lowering block to put between the spring pack and the axle. This will lower the vehicle the height of the block. They are available from almost any four wheel drive shop, suspension shop, auto parts store, JC Whitney, ect. As for the front, all you need to do there is turn to torsion bars the other way from what you would to lift it, counter clockwise I believe. New, shorter shocks with stiffer valving for the front will help retain the ride and control. Once you turn the torsion bars down, the ride will get real spongey without the shocks. The rear shouldn't need new shocks because all you have done is move the axle closr to the vehicle. The shocks will still be in their normal travel range, albiet more limited now. The only other thing that may need to be addressed is the bump stops. They may be a bit long, but they can be removed and trimmed to fit before reinstalling them.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

So Bob, what's with the springs? Both of my links showed rear springs???

What does yours have?

Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

ORIGINAL: HummBob

So Bob, what's with the springs? Both of my links showed rear springs???

What does yours have?
He has a H2. It's different.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

He has a H2. It's different.
It sure is!!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:48 PM

Quick Reply: Lowering vs Leveling