PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment

Old 12-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment

There won't be any premature wear of the front end components because all you are doing is changing the normal ride position within the range of suspension travel. None of the parts are being manipulated to operate outside of thier design parameters. Reguardless of the lift method, lifting keys or turning the adjusters, they all just relocate the ride hieght. About the only way to gain lift without changining any of the factory settings to your suspension is to cut it off the vehicle and physically put space between it and the vehicle. This is expensive, and typically causes steering problems. It also negates the purpose of a lift because you still have huge parts hanging way down low to get hung up, or bashed into stuff.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:58 PM

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Honestly guys, do whatever you feel comfortable with...knowing and having worked on trucks for half my life I know that turning the t-bars will not cause any premature wear (as long as it's kept within reason) Shocks will not bottom out because they too are made with more limit than needed stock, I (and alot of others) have hit some hard trails since doing the t-bar lift and have never had our shocks bottom out. I'll throw on a set of rancho's next spring anyway but just because I don't like the feel of the stockers, not for any other reason.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:22 PM

I cranked mine 2 1/2 turns and when the alignment was checked, it was out quite a bit
For what it's worth

Old 12-12-2006, 05:26 PM

alignment could go out after cranking it ...absolutely! Alignment should be done after anything in the suspension is changed.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 PM

Well, I cranked on my H2's torsion bars and boy was I disappointed. I only got 4 full turns on the passenger side before the bolt bottomed out (not even 1"). 1 turn equals .2" on the H2. I had already turned the drivers side 6 turns. It looked pretty good. I was so pissed I put it back to stock.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:31 PM

Thats strange.....is it an older h2 with higher mileage? If so your t-bars could be worn out, not likely but it is possible.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:47 PM

It's brand new with 500 miles on it. The passenger side turned 4 times then bottomed out and the drivers side turned 6 times with more turns left.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 AM

I never worked on an h2 before so it's kind of hard to speculate, are you sure you ran out of threads or did it just get so hard to turn that you thought it was at the end? Did you jack the front up before doing it? Maybe an h2 owner can pipe in here to help ya, if you didn't do it already post the problem on the h2 board...there are a few h2 guys there that aren't cool enough to post here....j/k. but there are guys there that won't see this here.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:11 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

Thats strange.....is it an older h2 with higher mileage? If so your t-bars could be worn out, not likely but it is possible.
It's very possible that the t-bar could have settled. It al depends on many factors. How it was driven etc.. or it could just be a weak t-bar. I have heard of that on older IFS trucks.

Right now my t-bars are cranked only about 2 1/2 turns. I'm still not sure if I'll leave it like that or re-index them. But I think if we keep the H3 long term (it may end up being my 9 yo's first ride if she wants it when she turns 16) then I'll probably do a solid axle swap after it's out of warranty.

[sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 12-13-2006, 02:28 AM

thats what I was thinking too, but he said it is brand new with only 500 miles,unless he got a weak one from the factory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment