PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Default Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment

Is there a difference between getting a leveling kit and just cranking up the Torsion Bars? Pros/Cons of each??? I want my H3 LEVEL!!!!

Thankya veddy mucha!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Default RE: Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment

you should be able to level it with the torsion bars. the kit is a pair of offset adjuster keys that replace the ones you've got. i wouldn't recommend the kit, they will change the overall geometry of the vehicle beyond the manufacturers design. but, others have done the kit and don't appear to have issues yet.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info. Also whats the concensus on getting an alignment done after cranking the torsion bars? I have heard a few people say that they put them on the rack but didn't bother adjusting anything because there was no noticeable change. Others say to get one or else...

Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 PM

I twisted mine 2.5 turns, the seamingly recommended amount, and didn't bother with an alignment because others have said no alignment is needed. the way I look at it, I marked the bolts before turning them, so if I notice funky wear on the tires, I'll just go back to stock. The only problem I see with cranking the bars to the point of having it sit totally level with the rear is on compression you run the risk of over flexing the spring and snapping it. (think of pulling too far on a rubber band) You can remidy this by moving your bump stops to return the travel to more of a stock movement, but now you are limiting your upward travel after you have just comprimised your downward travel by converting it to lift. In my opinion, I would recommend a well thought out and designed kit if you want it to be complety level.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 PM

I did it i do it again in a heartbeat it makes the truck.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:23 PM

i think with either method, an alignment would be a good idea. they're your tires, but uneven wear isn't the only issue. the bottoms of your tires are now being forced inward, they're not hitting the pavement flat anymore (after the change). that's going to affect handling, and wear on the inner parts. the handling you might not notice, and the wear may not be a problem until you sell it. but, if it looks good. . . .

Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

i think with either method, an alignment would be a good idea. they're your tires, but uneven wear isn't the only issue. the bottoms of your tires are now being forced inward, they're not hitting the pavement flat anymore (after the change). that's going to affect handling, and wear on the inner parts. the handling you might not notice, and the wear may not be a problem until you sell it. but, if it looks good. . . .
Makes sense...It's bound to put a tilt of some kind on them..what is the term for when the outside top is tilted out and the outside bottom is riding on that outside edge?..Caster or Camber?..I never can keep those straight.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:51 PM

I JUST HAD MY ALIGNMENT AGAIN AND THE TIRE ARE NICE AND FLUSH WITH THE GROUND NO WEAR ON THEM JUST ROTATED THEM TO.IF YOU GO TO A GOOD PLACE THAT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND HAVE THE BEST EQUPIMENT.IT RIDES NICE

Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 AM

I did turn my torsion bar and it raised it 2 inches and it is level. it rides great.( SEE PHOTOS UNDER HOOD HANDLES ) I did get a alignment . Whats 99.00 to make sure the tires wont wear bad and cup out. let me tell you i got the computer read out before and after i had it aligned. it did change it after turning the torsion alot the machine doesnt lie. it is now back in factory specs .Its worth the money to get a alingment them to buy new tires. i am putting the 315 75 16 or the 315 70 17 in 2 weeks. i didnt want to take a chance with new tires and riun them so i spent the low cost of a aligment.just because it feels good doesnt mean the camber is ok or the tow. if you turn it put it on a machine and get a read out you will see what it reads.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dennis

ORIGINAL: shortbus

Makes sense...It's bound to put a tilt of some kind on them..what is the term for when the outside top is tilted out and the outside bottom is riding on that outside edge?..Caster or Camber?..I never can keep those straight.
[
/quote]

ANSWER: Positive camber.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit VS. Torsion bar adjustment