Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

time for a new radio .. what do you recommend? H2

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Default time for a new radio .. what do you recommend? H2

my 04 H2 has now a older JVC unit without NAV or bluetooth , the previews owner must off had this truck at a cheap stereo place that did a bad half a ss install on both speackers and head unit . I want something newer that wont brake the bank , on the other had I FOR SOME WEIRD REASON like the look of the factory nav but we all know that we cant update the maps and is missing a few newer features ... Im researching the main chip on the older nav units to see if there is a way to wipe it clean an mod the old software to add some new features . Onstar is useless to some in my case the previous owner had it shut off but and i know some would hate me for this but i wish i could update it to a newer non analog working unit .....

Old 09-18-2018, 04:16 PM

I really like the Kenwood DNX 692 I have in mine. One of the last few that still has an real volume **** and the built in GPS is genuine Garmin. When I got it, I did also the the ASWC steering wheel control adapter and the harness adapter that works with the factory Bose amp. I'm actually very pleased and surprised at how well it sounds and how much bass it is capable of using the stock Bose speakers and amp this way.

There are components that can be used to upgrade the old analog Onstar to the new digital Onstar as well or you can delete it. There is actually a pocket you can get for the dash where it is (which I think is great since there is really not much in the way of front storage in these). I got that and then I routed the Onstar GPN and mic connectors to the Kenwood which I also like a lot. I'm not fond of aftermarket microphones sticking out somewhere nor of a little magnet GPS antenna. The Onstar GPS antenna gets a near instant lock for the Garmin nav, and the Onstar mic in the headliner works excellent with my phone bluetooth connection to the stereo.

Realistically though, there hundreds of ways to go about it (keep the Bose amp, bypass it), keep Onstar and upgrade it or ditch it, brand and models of stereos, etc. I know a lot of people are also fond of the Android based OEM looking ones from various companies as well. Personally I just listen to the radio a good bit and around here we have over a dozen stations with HD Radio subchannels so I also wanted something with HD Radio and none of the Android based systems had that when I looked. The Rosen units are also supposed to be pretty darn good for keeping an OEM look as well. https://www.rosenelectronics.com/oe-look-navigation/

Old 09-19-2018, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I really like the Kenwood DNX 692 I have in mine. One of the last few that still has an real volume **** and the built in GPS is genuine Garmin. When I got it, I did also the the ASWC steering wheel control adapter and the harness adapter that works with the factory Bose amp. I'm actually very pleased and surprised at how well it sounds and how much bass it is capable of using the stock Bose speakers and amp this way.

There are components that can be used to upgrade the old analog Onstar to the new digital Onstar as well or you can delete it. There is actually a pocket you can get for the dash where it is (which I think is great since there is really not much in the way of front storage in these). I got that and then I routed the Onstar GPN and mic connectors to the Kenwood which I also like a lot. I'm not fond of aftermarket microphones sticking out somewhere nor of a little magnet GPS antenna. The Onstar GPS antenna gets a near instant lock for the Garmin nav, and the Onstar mic in the headliner works excellent with my phone bluetooth connection to the stereo.

Realistically though, there hundreds of ways to go about it (keep the Bose amp, bypass it), keep Onstar and upgrade it or ditch it, brand and models of stereos, etc. I know a lot of people are also fond of the Android based OEM looking ones from various companies as well. Personally I just listen to the radio a good bit and around here we have over a dozen stations with HD Radio subchannels so I also wanted something with HD Radio and none of the Android based systems had that when I looked. The Rosen units are also supposed to be pretty darn good for keeping an OEM look as well. https://www.rosenelectronics.com/oe-look-navigation/
I just got a touch screen factory nav off of an 06 H2 got it reprogram to my truck now i need a LUX AMP , im also thinking of picking up a full set of rockford fosgate speakers to use with the bose amp . theres also a setup online with a ribon cable that plugs inside the factory NAv and gets a extra channel for a backup camera ..

Old 09-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Aftermarket speakers do not play well with the factory Bose amp......

The stock Bose speakers do not have standard impedances so you will end up with some mixed results. I have not really looked into it in the H2 but I know on many vehicles they are able to use a smaller amp but using very low but impedance speakers with a high efficiency (sometimes as low as .5 ohms and 92db sensitivity). So in that scenario if you put in a typical 4ohm speaker you will barely hear anything but will be working the amp hard to overcome the high resistance. On other vehicles like some of the GM trucks it is a mixed bag with anything from 3.3ohm on certain speakers to 5ohm on others (the Bose sub is dual voice coil as well).

So - it can be tricky for replacing speakers. I know a few brands do have 2ohm speakers though.

Here are a few good reads on it...
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb.../t-535019.html
IMPORTANT BOSE INFO!!!!
https://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/th...akers.1400737/

One guy on one of those mentions something I've run across as well. Bose and other factory optional "high end" stereos very often do have a TON of engineering resources behind the design of the amplifier and the speaker system that provides a level of imaging and separation that you will never quite match by just stuffing in an aftermarket amp and some off the shelf speakers. Not saying it cannot be done and made to sound amazing though - just we will never have the engineering resources a car manufacturer plus an audio manufacturer does. I've always been one to have aftermarket audio systems too. My GMC Sierra has all Polk Audio speakers, same Kenwood DNX head unit as my H2, and an Infinity Basslink sub and it just does not sound anywhere near as good as far as spatial imaging goes as the setup in my H2 (where I just replaced the dash source but left the factory amp and speakers). It does sound good though but just not as "clean". I'm hoping to change that though - actually in the process of redoing the GMC interior and adding sound deadening which will hopefully help.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:50 PM

I'd go for pioneer. If you go for one with an HDMI input, you can then add things to it via a cheap raspberry pi. You could have any of the following connected:
plex, kodi media center (can stream tv if you share your phones internet, as well as youtube)
Retropie - you can have it play arcade games etc, with a couple of controllers.
As new kit comes out you can just swap the source keeping it current.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Baldfox
I'd go for pioneer. If you go for one with an HDMI input, you can then add things to it via a cheap raspberry pi. You could have any of the following connected:
plex, kodi media center (can stream tv if you share your phones internet, as well as youtube)
Retropie - you can have it play arcade games etc, with a couple of controllers.
As new kit comes out you can just swap the source keeping it current.
I have rosen headrest with 2 AUX channels and always wondered how to at least get digital local tv on one of the channels ...

Old 08-29-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC

Hey MixManSC, I am looking to get behind my stereo Kenwood DDX6704S to see if i can connect the Onstar antenna and mic to the stereo, where did you get the H2 harness diagram to do these two connections? I will probably run some RCA outs while back there, do think there is a decent amp to replace the Bose in the same location size wise?

Thanks for any Info
Sam

Old 08-31-2019, 10:11 AM

Replacing the Bose amp is tricky and complicated and not something I've attempted (nor do I plan on attempting that).

As far as the Onstar mic and GPS antennas....
On the plugs that connect to the back of the Onstar module.
The white 12 pin plug has the mic wires. Grey is the center (signal), bare wire is the drain (ground). These are pins 9 and 10 on the 12 pin plug. If you look close the plug probably has some tiny numbers on it somewhere indicating which they are. 9 and 10 are the two middle pins on the flat side without the release clip. So if you cut a 1/8" mono plug like the Kenwood uses and strip the wires to extend it to your stereo the grey would go to the center pin wire on the plug.... Also on my Kenwood, when in the phone screen settings, I turned the mic gain up to max and it works perfect.

There are two antennas connected to the back of the Onstar module. One has a threaded connection. That is for cellular communication. The other is the GPS antenna. I do not remember offhand what the factory connector is. You can get short adapter cables to extend it and convert it to the GT5 connector that Kenwood uses (easiest). I re-routed it to reach the Kenwood, cut the end off and put on a GT5 connector - you need a specialized crimper to crimp the tiny center conductor on those. I'm really not sure but the factory cable might be a Fakra connector.... This is the sort of adapter cable you can get - https://www.ebay.com/itm/133140149551 But again, I'm not sure what the factory end is. I know my Kenwood uses a GT5 connector for its end though.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Great info, Thanks I'll report back when i tackle it, also going to run the rear view camara wire, so getting it all ready to do it all in one shot!

Old 08-31-2019, 12:04 PM

Also wondering why my rear passanger radio not working and if it is worth the effort to fix it or not

Quick Reply: time for a new radio .. what do you recommend? H2