PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out on de Brakes Boss!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Old 11-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Default RE: Out on de Brakes Boss!

Someone lost their licenses over this ... no 1 year suspension on this one! FAA probably slow cooked his a$$ knowing them right!

Old 11-23-2006, 06:14 AM

Dumbass!!

Old 11-23-2006, 11:04 PM

I'd like to see the NTSB repeort on that. Anybody have any more info about it, like when it was, or what airport it was at?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:24 AM

I think I heard someone say it was at Alantic City NJ airport..

Old 11-24-2006, 01:45 PM

Cessna 525A, May 15th 2005 - Bader Field (Airport) Atlantic City NJ.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...05LA085&akey=1

Landed long with a 10 knot tail wind, too short of a runway even if he had touched down just after the numbers. Pilots chart clearly had the airport marked as "Closed to jet aircraft" ... I dunno if anyone here flys but I personally check out a new airport both online using google earth as well as on my charts BEFORE I even do my preflight ... Pilot should definitely lose his ratings over this one!

Old 11-25-2006, 02:14 AM

I am a private SEL as well, and that is why I wanted to see the NTSB. Looks like you got to it before me, so thanks for the leg work. I agree. Any time I fly to somewhere I have never been, I look it up in the most current AFD AND check for NOTAM's for the airport and vacinity. Nothing would suck worse than flying somewhere and expecting to land, but then find out the runway is closed due to repaivng in progress, or land and there not be fuel available because the pumps/tanks are being renovated. I try to know everything about my flight before I even leave the house for the airport, just like the FAA requires.

There are so many similarities between this flight and another one that happened somewhere in the MidWest. This one was a Citation too, I beleive, but it happened in snowy weather. The pilot landed with a substantial tail wind because he wanted to use the ILS instead of diverting to his alternate. They slid down the runway, through the ILS ground equipment, through a fence and across a road before coming to a stop in a department store parking lot, impacting cars and curbs, which removed the landing gear, and ruptured one of tthe fuel tanks and dumping 1200 gallons of Jet-A on the ground. Both instances seem to be a bad case of Get-there-itis.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:56 PM

You would think the pilot would've gotten a clue just by looking at his chart :/ Luckily only one minor injury but could've been A LOT worse! Get-there-itis can burn you bad at best and kill you on a bad day. I've personally never put myself in that situation, I'll rather divert from the flight plan and get down SAFELY. I've only had two incidents flying, a busted attitude indicator that froze on me just as I got cleared for take off and a landing light that burned out on short final after a night flight. Neither of course were a major issue but aborted the flight with the faulty instrument and the landing light ... well, the runway lights did their job and figured it was easier just to put her down than do a go-around to assess the situation ...

The worst one I've seen was a Super Twin Otter with a faulty nose wheel indicator. The indicator stated the nose wheel was centered/straight when in fact it was almost 90 degrees off to the right. Plane came in for a landing and proceeded to perform a 1.2 million dollar cartwheel down the grass strip. This was a skydiving plane so only the pilot was onboard, the rest had exited at 13 grand. Needless to say the plane was totalled. Ironically enough it had been in for it's scheduled maintenance a few weeks earlier, the wheel indicator had been written up prior to that and supposedly addressed during the maintenance. Turns out it was a "paper fix" but nothing had been done mechanically. I know the pilot quite well as he has flown at the dropzone I frequent and was glad to hear only minor bumps, bruises, and a few cuts resulted from it.

To me the pilot should have caught this during pre-flight but then again most dropzones are so busy the props never stop turning between loads. Just glad it wasn't storming that day and the jumpers had to ride the plane down due to lightning in the area :/

If I can find the full video of our CASA 212 sucking a fan blad through the turbine I'll post it. It was on take off, nose wheel already off the ground and a blade detached in the left turbine and proceeded to shred it .. 6 foot flames and debris shooting out the back ... I don't think I've EVER gotten out of an aircraft that fast in my life!

Old 11-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Just plain stupid.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

Just plain stupid.
Plain..Get it? *Plain*..bad pun Joe

Quick Reply: Out on de Brakes Boss!