PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 I'm looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:07 PM
Default H1 I'm looking to buy

Hi all

Looking to buy a H1 in the UK and I've found one that I think suits my requirements but have a few questions please.

This on has a one piece windsheild and an extra wiper in the middle of the screen....is this a modification as all of the others I've seen have two screen and two wipers?

The other issue is with the number 8 cylinder and whether I can get any record of a warranty or replacement motor without diving in to check block numbers etc?

The Vin-137za843xye187191 so it's possible it's got the block issue waiting to happen.

Any advice please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

James

Attached Thumbnails H1 I'm looking to buy-image.jpeg  
Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 PM

what's the mileage? I have a 99 with 83k on it and have taken it on long road trips and through Moab. I never found the number on the block and no records of it being changed. I think if it has made it to 50k and hasn't broke it should last as long as you don't let it overheat or rag it out. That's what I'm hoping for...

But you do need to check to see if it already has a crack by cranking it on for 10 seconds when it is cold and seeing if there is pressure in the coolant overflow. There is the Vampire you should look at too. Is there more fluid in the transmission than the transfer case? Always expect to put $5k of work into a new one, mainly on maintenance such as the A, B and C schedule, to make sure you don't have to sink a lot more into it later.

If you can, find a Hummer owner who does his own wrenching in your area to look it over. Most garages you'd take it to don't have a clue about them.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply, it's got 44k on it so I'm going to see it and test the coolant for pressure and residue.
I'll search the vampire tip as that's a new one on me too!
The screen with the triple wipers and no central bar is weird as I've never seen another like it, could it be a modification or is it a known upgrade?
I'm a viper guy and those seem quite straight forward compared to the H1!

Old 11-30-2015, 10:29 PM

got a picture? That does sound weird. Removing that pillar changes everything, can't have the heated windows, etc. Not that I some times wished I didn't have that pillar there...

Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

No H1 ever had the windshield wiper/glass configuration you describe. The #8 cylinder issue impacted roughly a third of the trucks and most motors blew up under 35K miles. My 98 motor had the #8 issue at about 80K miles. I think Dave at Blue Hummer, Mike S at Tustin Buick/hummer and most of the old Hummer dealerships can run the VIN for you. That will tell you if the motor was replaced under warranty. It may not tell you if it was replaced outside of warranty.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:42 AM

Hi, thanks for replies here's the ad
STUNNING HUMMER H1 2000 RARE AND VERY COLLECTABLE ATTENTION GETTER ! | eBay
It's a good price but I have a few reservations but then all vehicles have them at this age I guess.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM

That windshield thing is pretty interesting. Definitely odd but kinda cool…